2003 Subaru Baja

Reaction score
Looking for some guidance. Not sure if this is the right area but i will give it a go.

I've got a 2003 subaru baja that I am thinking about selling. The vehicle has 190 k miles and a 5 speed manual transmission. I do not know any of the service history but have looked at the timing belt and are not seeing any abnormal wear or cracks. The day after i bought it is sprang 2 codes on me, engine misfires. I changed the plugs, wires, and coil and the code went away. The vehicle has an engine tick when cold until it gets up to operating temperatures (piston slap i am assuming). The 5 speed manual trans also hums a bit when driving, probably needs to be replaced or rebuilt as the manual trans gear oil looks grey and has a burnt smell to it. I have been looking for a subaru baja for a long time and finally came across this one that was a good deal but needs work. Other then the mechanical issues it is a clean little car. I can get a used engine with around 50k miles on it for $1500 and a used trans with similar miles for $950 from engine world, although not sure what shipping would cost. This is an OR car and has no rust problems. In your many opinions, is it worth putting money into this vehicle or should i just sell it? What do you think it is worth as is to a private party?

Thank you in advance for any of your opinions.

Thanks!

Ask a Question