09 Forester XT Intermittent Rod Knock?

Reaction score
Hi all, like the title says, I’ve got a 2009 Forester XT that started making noise and Subaru dealer said there was rod knock and wants 12k for a new engine. However they were a bit stumped by the fact that it comes and goes.

I’m no mechanic but I thought rod knock was more of a mechanical failure? I don’t understand how it can knock and then instantly stop, as if a switch was turned off, and then it sounds good as new?

Anyone ever seen this before? I’d love to have some clarification before having to sell or spend 12k on a new engine.

I tried to catch the noise on video but it wasn’t happening at the time. Last time I drove the car about 30 min. home from the dealer and you’d have never known there was anything wrong with it!

Hi all, like the title says, I’ve got a 2009 Forester XT that started making noise and Subaru dealer said there was rod knock and wants 12k for a new engine. However they were a bit stumped by the fact that it comes and goes.

I’m no mechanic but I thought rod knock was more of a mechanical failure? I don’t understand how it can knock and then instantly stop, as if a switch was turned off, and then it sounds good as new?

Anyone ever seen this before? I’d love to have some clarification before having to sell or spend 12k on a new engine.

I tried to catch the noise on video but it wasn’t happening at the time. Last time I drove the car about 30 min. home from the dealer and you’d have never known there was anything wrong with it!
If that is truly a rod knock, it probably has rod a bearing that is not getting oil properly (intermittently).
Sadly, this will kill the engine sooner rather than later.
That said, if the engine has been maintained well, a rebuild, with a new set of rod bearings, may be all it needs.
And it will save you $$$ over a new engine.
Good Luck!
AMLOR

That is odd. It's either broken or not. Get a second opinion from a trusted local mechanic!!

That is odd. It's either broken or not. Get a second opinion from a trusted local mechanic!!
Thank you for the reply! That’s what I thought?! From what I’ve read, rod knock should be consistent with engine RPM, and this certainly isn’t.

Does it knock at idle? Then go away when you increase the RPM a little? If yes, its common due to the oil pump not producing high oil flow at idle,, allowing the damaged rod bearing to loose the hydrodynamic effect of the oil, thus creating a knock....Let us know please. Also, try another dealership.....

Ask a Question