USB music stick not working

Reaction score
I moved a USB music stick from my (now-sold) 2019 Legacy to a 2024 Forester. The stick is not recognized by the Forester's player. I was able to use a spare (small capacity) stick in the forester. The 2024 car's docs are not helpful. Has anybody run into this? thanks

I've seen where some people had to format their USB Stick for Fat32 in order for it to work with the Subaru system.

The 64GB flash drive I keep in my 2020 Forester is formatted using NTFS and the music normally loads right up. I do occasionally get an onscreen message that the media isn’t recognized (or something to that effect), but then it quickly disappears and the drive continues working as usual.

tried a new stick. the radio sees it (after a delay), then forgets it a minute later. fwp, but still annoying,

Large capacity sticks are simply not as reliable as the smaller ones. Not sure how this works but I've been told that above 16GB, all the sticks have the same number of locations for bits, but they have a way of storing more bits per location. The more bits per location, the less reliable the storage is.

So ask yourself just how much storage you need and if you don't need more than 16GB, then only use the smaller sticks.

Ask a Question