Flashing AT Oil Temp and Brake and solid traction control light on 2015 Subaru Legacy

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have recently been having issues with my vehicle. I have a used 2015 Subaru Legacy that I got in August of 2021 with 124k miles but it is now up to 144k.

A few weeks back, I got four lights show up on my dash, including the brake, ABS, check engine, and traction control. I took it to a mechanic and it turns out I needed new wheel bearings in the back and new front brakes. I dropped $1800 on that. Those lights then went away.

Now, I am having another problem. On Monday on the way home from work, I had a flashing AT Oil Temp and Brake light come on as well as solid traction control. I hooked it up to my scanner at home and no codes came up. The next day I was driving to work and the same lights came on again about halfway through my drive.

After work on Tuesday, I took the car to the mechanic but no lights came on, and then Wednesday they told me nothing was wrong and they couldn’t pull any codes. I drove home and there were no lights. Driving today, there were no lights on the way to work, but on the way home, again about 15 minutes in, I got the same flashing lights and solid light. The car drives just fine but I don’t understand why the lights are so inconsistent.

When I went to the mechanic last time, they told me it was common for lights to start going crazy on my dash after going to a car wash, and I had taken my car to its first full service car wash a week before my last service. My car has never had any other issues or lights come on before this, it just seems odd, especially since no one can figure out what it is. I am worried something is actually wrong with my transmission though, but I really don’t want to keep pouring money into this vehicle when it’s not worth too much anymore.

Thank you!

If it's not very expensive perhaps you should have a transmission fluid exchange done. Not a flush, just a fluid exchange. I suspect that it was never done and at well over 100K miles it could not hurt.

Go find yourself a "real" diagnostician mechanic, forget about the dealership, they are usually rushed to the point that they are not careful enough. I had this problem but the car would decelerate; the engine would rev down to 1.5K.

Ask a Question