2007 EJ255 Rebuild Question

Reaction score
Hi!

New member here!

My 2007 Forrester XT with the EJ255 and 150K miles needs to have a valve job done. The diagnosis is it is losing compression and leak down check revealed it has leaking valves on cylinders 2 and 4 (had a shop diagnose it). It was going to cost a lot of money for the shop to repair it so I brought it back home to do it myself since I have a lot of tools and work on my cars a lot (to an extent).

I pulled the EJ255 out and stripped it down to just the long block (hoses were shot anyway, so pulled the intake and turbo off). While it is sitting on the engine stand and I knew the heads had to come off, I started thinking that I might as well go ahead and do the short block, too.

If I stay with just OEM parts, what kind of cost would I be looking at for rebuilding the short block? Looks like I can get a remanufactured short block or one from Subaru for about $22k-$24K.

The reason I ask is because I am wondering if it would be better to just get a remanufactured short block if the cost is not going to be a huge difference over doing it myself, and save the trouble of tearing down and rebuilding it. Again, I just want to stick with OEM.

I know that just getting both the heads done are going to probably cost about a grand, after getting these machined and all the parts for it. But thought that the block would need to machined too in case there is any warpage.

For you all that have rebuilt your engines yourselves, what was your cost for rebuilding the long block?

If it will only cost me a few hundred more for a remanufactured long block instead of doing it myself than I may go that route.

Hope you can help!

Ask a Question