Wobbly tire

Reaction score
Wheel wobbles, can’t figure it out!

I have a 2014 Subaru Forester.

I thought it was the front passenger side wheel that was wobbly at speeds of 55-60 mph.

I removed the tire and balanced and tightened it back down. Still wobbles.

Then out of nowhere the lugs on the back tire broke off and 3 of the 5 studs were broken. I replaced the studs on the back tire. Checked the balance and tightened it back down. I test drove it and it seemed like it was better for about five minutes and then started to wobble again.

I have no idea at this point. I’m not a mechanic, I just like to learn these things and fix them myself rather than take it to a shop.

Thanks in advance everyone!

Check all the wheel bearings on all 4 corners. Torque to the correct specifications.
Check all suspension components, front and back.
TORQUE the wheels nuts with a torque wrench! Torque to the correct specifications.

I had several instances on both our 04 and 16 foresters with wheel studs breaking. I’m told it’s a frequent issue.

Beyond that, I’d strongly suspect a bad hub assembly or wheel bearing. Had the right rear bearing go out on our 16 at 100k, and my buddies 21 had a bearing go out at 30k miles. Never had a bearing issue on the 04 that I recall.

Ask a Question