What is this called - see pic

Discussion in 'General Motoring' started by AJay, Mar 14, 2008.

  1. AJay

    AJay Guest

    AJay, Mar 14, 2008
    1. Advertisements

  2. AJay

    Tony Hwang Guest

    Silencer or muffler. To lessen the air in rush noise.
    Tony Hwang, Mar 14, 2008
    1. Advertisements

  3. AJay

    nobody > Guest

    It's also possible that it dampens an intake air column pulsation at
    certain RPMS. Trust me, some engineer has the real reason and spent
    hours designing it.
    nobody >, Mar 15, 2008
  4. AJay

    Tony Hwang Guest

    Yep. Just run the car without it and see/hear. Some times they have
    similar things around axle drive shaft on RWD vehicles.
    Tony Hwang, Mar 15, 2008
  5. AJay

    John O Guest

    Hours? You don't know too many engineers, do you? That sucker took a month
    or more. :)

    -John O
    John O, Mar 15, 2008
  6. AJay

    Tony Hwang Guest

    Yup, from theory to real thing. Emphirical engineering takes infinite
    time some times and never gets the desired result. I am a retired
    engineer, been there, done that causing a few extra white hairs, LOL!
    Tony Hwang, Mar 15, 2008
  7. AJay

    AJay Guest

    Thanks for all the responses, I appreciate it.

    AJay, Mar 15, 2008
  8. AJay

    Brian Guest


    Brian, Mar 15, 2008
  9. AJay

    coaster Guest

    coaster, Mar 15, 2008
  10. It's a contraband storage container. <G>

    The others have correctly ID'd the function.
    Bonehenge (B A R R Y), Mar 15, 2008
  11. AJay

    John Guest

    An optimist thinks the glass is half full
    A pessimist thinks the glass is half empty
    An engineer thinks the glass is too big
    John, Mar 15, 2008
  12. AJay

    Baldy Guest

    Just putting in my 4c worth on this one. If you look at the plumbing
    on most houses you';ll find something similar close to the water
    heater. It's lovingly referred to as a air hammer. It acts as a shock
    absorber to the water pressure if it is suddenly shut off after a full
    flow (washing machines) to dampen the inertial water impulse...or
    words to that effect. ;-) And with that reply you'll probably think
    I'm have full of it. :-D

    Ole Baldy
    Baldy, Mar 15, 2008
  13. AJay

    nobody > Guest

    Thanks for the suggestion!
    nobody >, Mar 15, 2008
  14. AJay

    suburboturbo Guest

    Why, anyone who's ever worked on an east Asian car knows that's the
    nern dampener, positioned to interecept vibrations in the 800-1400 hz
    range, convert them to a standing wave and cancel them with a
    contavening burst of negative oscillation. This was designed to make
    it easier to understand the nuanced lyrics to American Pie,
    specifically the notion that Don Mclean and his buddies left "the
    Levee" in New Rochelle NY when they weren't allowed to play, to travel
    north along the Long Island Sound shore to Rye, where the "good old
    boys" were drinking "whiskey IN Rye" and wouldn't tolerate the

    Might as well globalize our local legends.
    suburboturbo, Mar 15, 2008
  15. AJay

    houndman Guest

    Having built horn loudspeaker systems, and creating or opening dead
    air space chambers, and extending the low frequency performance, where
    the horn, because of its length and mouth size can't produce lower
    notes, because the pressure backs up the horn and cancels the next
    wave, I thought it was something that will vent the pressure of the
    intake air train that is coming through the intake system when an
    intake valve-s close, and stops it, to let the air flow steadier.
    Cyclone Headers used to have a bulge at the exhaust port with funnel
    shapes there that funneled the exhaust down the pipe, but a returning
    pulse got diverted into the bulge, reducing back pressure.

    In the late 50's Chrysler had 30" long intake runners, that they
    called Ram Induction, and the carb for the right bank of the V-8 was
    outboard of the left valve cover. That was said to increase air flow
    at mid revs to increase power for passing. Don't think they had the

    houndman, Mar 17, 2008

  16. Ya know, I was wondering the same thing!

    I haven't read any of the other responses yet, but I'm guessing it's for
    something on the turbo models...
    Hachiroku ハチロク, Mar 21, 2008

  17. Leave it to you!

    What happens when your 'contraband' gets sucked into the intake?!?!?!
    Hachiroku ハチロク, Mar 21, 2008
  18. The car stops, and you remember you put something in there. <G>
    Bonehenge (B A R R Y), Mar 22, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.