Were to go next?? P0301 Cyl. 1 misfire

Reaction score
Hi all,

This car (2007 Outback Wagon, base, 2.5 AT) was purchased a few years ago with a blown engine. I put a used engine from LKQin it. It got new timing belt, head gaskets, oil & water pumps etc before going in. It's been pretty good, all things considered. But ,for a long time I had nagging Cyl.1 misfire and a cat efficiency. I'm managed the cat, but not the misfire.

>> I did see some fouling on the plug from #1 yesterday... <<

I have since putting in the used engine, I have done the following in the past 12 months...

- Exhaust (not factory dealer)

- Plugs, NKG (I'd have to look at which p/n

- Plug wires, Belden - they didn't have the NKG and when I did the plugs #4 wire broke at the plug & couldn't wait

- radiator

- reman injectors (last weekend)

I have run two cans of Jectron cleaner through with full tanks of fuel.

The bloody check engine light will go out periodically. It has been out a couple of times (on it's own) since doing the injectors, but it comes back. I cleared codes yesterday and it came back about 30 minutes (of driving) later in the second run time of the short trip.

I pulled 1 & 3 yesterday evening. Plug 1 did show not as clean & correct color as 3. Some fouling, can't say if it was oil or rich. I swapped 1 & 3 plugs when I put them back in, I'll have to pull and look at them now.

I measured resistance for the Belden wires on 1 & 3 and they were close to each other and correct range for radio suppression wires.

The engine definitely seems smoother at cold start idle after the injectors and I thought that was the end of P0301, but no! I do find it is idling low and rough after the code reset yesterday, but maybe that's just the system learning again.

>>> I have run run a compression test. I will do that and report the numers. Maybe #1 is simply dead, but the car can get average 25 +/- mpg in general driving and low 27+ in highway, doesn't seem like numbers for a 3/4 good engine!

>>> I've not replace the coil. Do I just do that next? (it is not COP, unfortunately)

??? This has the little 4 square coil pack and regular plug wires. Is this a "waste spark" type ignition and is there another "corner" of the coil I can swap out plug wires for a test?:unsure:

Please make suggestions for next steps! Parts, tests. Where would you go with this next? My daughter has been driving the car to school & the tabs have expired and I cannot pass emissions with the Check Engine on!

Thanks,
Tom

You could have a bad coil. Get a spark tester from a autozone and check if #1 is getting a good spark or any for that matter. Are the NGKs stock replacements, are they gapped properly?

Ask a Question