Transmissions

Reaction score
I have a 2011 Subaru Outback 3.6 with 202k miles. I have a clunk sound coming from the rear of my car that is so loud it sounds like someone has run into the back of the car. It only happens in certain situations. Seems to be after coasting and then rapidly accelerating. I have seen some old posts about this being an issue with the Transmission Control Module. There have been some posts talking about an update to re-fresh/re-program the TCM. I called my local dealer and he thought I was crazy. Anybody have any information regarding this issue?
Thanks for any help.
Toxman

What transmission is it? Is it the 5EAT or 5-speed automatic transmission with manual mode?
If so, read this link:'

What transmission is it? Is it the 5EAT or 5-speed automatic transmission with manual mode?
If so, read this link:'
It is a 5 speed automatic with manual mode.

You will need to access all the faults recorded. These links will help:
Free SSM 1.2.5 is PC based and working on older Subaru models without CAN, only K-Line.
Works with XP, Windows 7 and Windows 10. The application will access SSM full Engine and Transmission diagnostics.
Link: https://sourceforge.net/projects/freessm.berlios/files/latest/download
USB Cables used:
VAG-K + CAN USB (at times called KKL or K plus CAN)
OR (FTDI) FT232BL USB
Examples of operation:

The TCM will likely have P1710 and if so, there is an aftermarket sensor that can be installed but the valve body needs to be removed and replace Speed Sensor 2.
A technician with knowledgeable skills is required including 8 to 9 liters of Subaru ATF.

You will need to access all the faults recorded. These links will help:
Free SSM 1.2.5 is PC based and working on older Subaru models without CAN, only K-Line.
Works with XP, Windows 7 and Windows 10. The application will access SSM full Engine and Transmission diagnostics.
Link: https://sourceforge.net/projects/freessm.berlios/files/latest/download
USB Cables used:
VAG-K + CAN USB (at times called KKL or K plus CAN)
OR (FTDI) FT232BL USB
Examples of operation:

The TCM will likely have P1710 and if so, there is an aftermarket sensor that can be installed but the valve body needs to be removed and replace Speed Sensor 2.
A technician with knowledgeable skills is required including 8 to 9 liters of Subaru ATF.
Ecmbuster,
Thanks for the information. I found a Subaru Free SSM OBD2 USB Data Cable (MY99+). This looks like it should plug into car and then into my lap top. I found the Free SSM Files 1.2.5 at Source Forge. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Thanks again,
Toxman

Ask a Question