Transmission Trouble

Reaction score
2012 Impreza, CVT - automatic, sedan, 187k miles
I'm unsure if my Subaru is still under extended warranty (I doubt it). Purchased in 2015 with 86k miles, car now has 187k. The car was having trouble shifting, I could feel it slipping/pulling.I brought it to a mechanic who said flushing the ATF could possibly damage the transmission further, so he suggested to leave it alone. 1 week later (yesterday) I was driving when my check engine light, abs, and AT OIL TEMP light flashing all came on. I again brought it this mechanic who basically said he can't I do anything for me and I need a new transmission. I'm unsure if he was able to check the fluid or not, as he was very short with me. In the almost 5 years i've owned the car, I can't remember ever having the AT fluid flushed, replaced, or even checked.
I will scan it tomorrow to see what codes its giving, but is this the end for me and my subie? It's so frustrating that you can't check the ATF yourself, makes me not want to purchase another. Before this I drove a 1995 legacy for about 2 years and I absolutely loved it. Any and all feedback would be helpful. Thank you.

2012 Impreza, CVT - automatic, sedan, 187k miles
I'm unsure if my Subaru is still under extended warranty (I doubt it). Purchased in 2015 with 86k miles, car now has 187k. The car was having trouble shifting, I could feel it slipping/pulling.I brought it to a mechanic who said flushing the ATF could possibly damage the transmission further, so he suggested to leave it alone. 1 week later (yesterday) I was driving when my check engine light, abs, and AT OIL TEMP light flashing all came on. I again brought it this mechanic who basically said he can't I do anything for me and I need a new transmission. I'm unsure if he was able to check the fluid or not, as he was very short with me. In the almost 5 years i've owned the car, I can't remember ever having the AT fluid flushed, replaced, or even checked.
I will scan it tomorrow to see what codes its giving, but is this the end for me and my subie? It's so frustrating that you can't check the ATF yourself, makes me not want to purchase another. Before this I drove a 1995 legacy for about 2 years and I absolutely loved it. Any and all feedback would be helpful. Thank you.
The trans fluid should be replaced every 60,000 miles according to Subaru. The symptoms you describe indicate immediate need. Is it too late to help? Don't know, but changing the oil is cheaper than a new trans. Maybe worth the gamble?

The trans fluid should be replaced every 60,000 miles according to Subaru. The symptoms you describe indicate immediate need. Is it too late to help? Don't know, but changing the oil is cheaper than a new trans. Maybe worth the gamble?
Hi there! I ended up bringing it to subaru near me. They didn’t think changing the oil would be helpful, they narrowed down the issue to the valve body. Which they wanted to charge a lot $$$$
I ended up selling it for not much and purchasing a 2019 Honda Civic hatch. I’m sure I’ll be back to Subaru at some point down the line. Love their cars.

Ask a Question