Transmission Retrofit?

Reaction score
Has anyone swapped out a CVT for a real automatic transmission?
My Mom has had Outbacks in the past and wants another one. I'd like to get her one for her 75th birthday but I want it to have the newer safety features like adaptive cruise and cross-traffic monitoring and all that. Unfortunately those features weren't introduced until 2013 and they started building those with CVTs in 2010. (So there are no model years that have both all of those features and a real transmission.) To that end, I'm exploring the possibility of buying one with all those safety features then swapping out the CVT for a real transmission. Any thoughts?

Id be interested to see how this would be done. I dont think it would be possible since the car is programmed specifically for a CVT. If you do decide to take on this endeavor, please document everything you do and send it to Subaru. As well as let us know so other may attempt if successful.

I believe it was 2014 when they added the adaptive cruise control. You won't get EyeSight but If she would like a newer car without the CVT. 2010 - 2013 Outbacks with the 3.6 engine did not have a CVT. But since everything is computerized, I don't believe it would be possible unless you were able to reprogram the EyeSight system into talking to a real auto.

Ask a Question