Transmission replacement

Reaction score
A couple months ago a car shop replaced my CVT auto transmission in my 2013 Subaru Crosstrek with a used one. Currently I have a mechanic friend taking apart the front end to replace the front ball joints as well as the coil spring assembly. He started on the drivers side and is adamant that the transmission was not replaced since there are no signs of the axle being removed. Do the axles have to be removed to replace the transmission?

Drive shafts, rear drive shaft, transmission mount, stater, bell housing bolts, cooling lines etc. etc.

Drive shafts, rear drive shaft, transmission mount, stater, bell housing bolts, cooling lines etc. etc.
Thank you for your reply, to be clear, the CV axles do not require removal during the process of replacing the auto transmission?

They need to be disconnected from the transmission output flanges. It would also depend if the Technician had the need to inspect the shafts.
Also, if the transmission was removed, there would be evidence on all the mounting bolts that would have been removed because of the replacement. A smart tech would see the evidence. That information is noted above.

Ask a Question