Thermostat Issues or Gasket Head? 07 imp 2.5 non turbo

Reaction score
My 07 Impreza non turbo has been over heating here and there. I recently filled the coolant up, as I noticed levels were lower. I figured it was a thermostat issue.
I drove the car 10 mins down the road, stopped at a gas station and on the drive back it was above the red line for the first time. Usually it doesn’t get that hot. Once I parked and got out I heard there was coolant spraying somewhere on top of the engine (it might just be a hose that had built up pressure). I wondered if it was the head gasket- but my engine oil has not been affected by the coolant. The coolant has a reddish rusty color but I assume that’s because it hasn’t been replaced in my ownership (3 years). Should I get the thermostat replaced, or just assume it’s a head gasket and hang up the towel. I don’t really have the funds to replace the head gasket, but I don’t want to gamble the little money I have on a repair that leads to the junkyard anyways. Any advice?

Any update? I've been wrestling with cooling system issues on my 08 Impreza (2.5i) too. When I first bought it, there were various issues related to the head gasket and radiator BOTH being bad. I have since replaced both, but some issues remain.

You say you could hear a coolant spraying sound...did you verify it is actually leaking? If so, then maybe you don't need a new head gasket, but if yours has never had its head gasket replaced, I would assume it is needed, as this is a pretty common problem.

The coolant ought to be clear / green. I'd try to get it flushed if I were you, or do it yourself if you are able.

So your oil is clear and not opaque / sludgy?

Ask a Question