Subarus with low passenger seat heights, and years they changed?

Reaction score
I'm helping shop for a good used snow car, with low front passenger seat, to replace 2001 Subaru Outback. Please tell me the years during which Subaru seat heights were altered.

Vehicle requirements:

1. Automatic transmission, AWD or automatically engaged 4WD.

2. The passenger side seat, when far back, must be no higher than 23" off the ground, in the center of THE SIDE of the seat. Elderly passenger has successfully used 22" high 2001 Subaru Outback and 23" high 2013 Toyota Venza seats.

Some of you know that seat heights have been rising recently. So far, at dealerships, have only found various year Subaru Imprezas, and a 2013 Subaru Legacy (but not 2022 Legacy, Forester, CrossTrek, or Outback), and 2013 Venza, to meet even these two requirements. If you know of others, please say.

Seat reupholstery is possible, but most modern seats have metal bars inside the side lips which restrict height reduction.

3. Sufficient weight for snow covered hilly roads, unplowed driveway. Not sure if Impreza meets, but may have to make do. We haven't found a Honda Fit, but someone claimed Honda Fit is not heavy enough for snowy hills.

4. The front passenger door must open reasonably wide, and the front passenger seat must slide fairly far back.

5. Good visibility for a 4'8" driver - possibly with seat back and bottom cushions. Most modern vehicles (E.g., Venza) have high long hoods, and obstructive support pillars in side and back, which create unsafe visibility for short drivers.

6. High road clearance, to deal with unplowed driveway. (2001 Outback had about 9" - great. 2021 Impreza has about 7" - possibly OK. I forgot to measure 2013 Legacy clearance.)

7. Fairly adjustable front seats. We can add back and seat cushions, and peddle extenders, as were needed for 2001 Outback.

8. No steps, running boards or ramps to enter vehicle on either side.

9. Good mechanical condition and minimal work to to pass NY state inspection. An independent mechanic will check it out.

10. Within about 50 miles of Ithaca, NY. Obviously, most of you can't help with that, but maybe you can help us figure out seat heights and the years they changed.

11. Prefer rear cargo area (not trunk) at least 5' long - OK to fold down rear seat(s), so Impreza or Legacy would work, as would other Subarus meeting the seat height requirement. Prefer fairly low cargo area floor.

Last edited:
6. High road clearance, to deal with unplowed driveway. (2001 Outback had about 9" - great. 2021 Impreza has about 7" - possibly OK. I forgot to measure 2013 Legacy clearance.)

It looks like I measured ground clearance wrong, as they are completely inconsistent with the published values on a website. I measured it off the body, which must not be the lowest point.

The actual measurements upset me a lot - the Impreza and Legacy are significantly lower than I hoped.

Ask a Question