Subaru Forester-2008-X-Automatic Transmission - 2.5L - P0442 - small leak

Reaction score
I took my Subaru Forester to a mechanic back in August 2020, and had a major oil leak from the rear of the right cylinder head due to a loose camshaft cap that fell off. I at first diagnosed myself however, since I couldn't replace it myself I took it to the shop and let the aut oshop fix the oil leak. Once they fixed the problem and I took my car home they overfilled the oil with one quart more than necessary. I drained the extra oil and didn't talk to the shop. In around 50-80 (3 weeks) miles after the repair, the code (P0442) appeared. We cleared the code, changed the fuel cap, checked the freeze frame and got the Evap System Vapour Pressure as -378.25 Pa at the time that the code was triggered. I constantly remove the P0442 and it returns within a progressively longer mileage like this (Example: 1st time = 80, 2nd time = 120 miles, and today it triggered at 242 miles). I also attempted to reconnect and disconnect the battery and I have not smelled any gasoline odar in my vehicle. My Subaru is parked in a completely concealed garage and I have never witnessed the smell of gasoline odar. I also don't see any issues with acceleration, performance, or economy with my vehicle even with the check engine light on. This vehicle has the typical oil consumption issues like any Subaru vehicle after 100,000 miles which isn't surprising given that many Subaru owners have complained about consumption. All Subaru boxer engines have the same problem across vehicles. With this code I could disregard the check engine light but I cannot use cruise control because of this frustrating check engine light the disables cruise control. In the history of me fixing cars this Subaru is the first occurence of me not being able to shut off the damn check engine light. Finally, inspected the charcoal canister and didn't anything wrong and I performed a smoke machine test and got nothing from it.

P.S: I might seem paranoid but I really feel that the shop contributed to this mess that I am having because why was there an excess of one quart of oil poured into my car? The shop was very unhappy that I even tried to diagnosed the vehicle myself and the shop was trying to overcharge me until told them about the problem I diagnosed myself. Finally it could be possible that the autoshop sabatoged my car.

Here is my freeze frame below:

upload_2021-3-30_16-5-54.png

Ask a Question