stuck stones

Reaction score
Hi there, I have a 2016 Outback with an LP lift and Primitive skid plates. I've had it about 13 months now. I've had to take it to the dealership twice in the past 6 months for nuisance stones getting stuck where they don't belong. The first time sounded like a squeaking around the brakes but not quite like worn brake pads. Dealer removed a small stone that had been ground and polished stuck behind a plate around the brakes somewhere. They predicted that to be the issue and kindly, they didn't charge me. Yesterday, I was simply driving on a paved street when I heard a sound that sounded like I had ran over a piece of metal - metallic clanging up in the front undercarriage. I pulled over, couldn't see anything, started to drive and heard a grinding scraping type noise from the front end. Pulled over again and couldn't see anything but it persisted on my 2 minute drive home and I thought I smelled something burning. Went underneath and looked as best I could and all seemed sound. Decided not to take any chances re safety or making things worse and so had it towed on a flatbed to the dealership where it spent a half hour on the hoist before the mechanic found another stone stuck somewhere and the noises now seem to be resolved. I was just relieved it was nothing more serious. That said, I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this nuisance, whether there is anything I can do. Was considering getting the snow shield from primitive to block between my front skid plate and the front bumper. Not sure it that will do anything or whether any of you have any other suggestions. Thanks!

i had a similar issue the plastic undercarrage near the front left wheel was dragging on the tire and it took me about a day to realize what it was i had been driving it fine and then the noise happened, i sprayed my rims off and all was fine for a little i thought my rotors were grooved or a rock was caught but then it wouldnt stop for a day i kept driving then when i got to my destination there was a hole burnt into the plastic and i had to cut away most of it due to the clamp holes being broken and burnt away there was no fix besides cutting it down to where it didnt scrape and now its fine problem with yours is there might be a gap from the metal rotor shield to the rotor that rocks easily get into id recommend getting the metal plate behind the rotor looked at i had a 2000 integra and the metal piece was grinding on my rotor i put it on the lift and took the metal off and it never happened again but it is the dust shield so it could potentially mess the car up over time but check if theres any dents or bending happening and maybe order new ones that arent if there is bending on the ones currently

Ask a Question