Strange AC pressure readings

Reaction score
Hi,
First time poster. The AC isn't blowing cold on my 2014 Subaru Crosstrek with 102,000 miles. I hooked up my manifold gauges and both the high and low pressure were the same at 105 psi, with an ambient temperature of 75F. The compressor was running and the clutch was engaged. When I shut off the engine both the high and low pressures stayed 105 psi. l understand that this model has a known issue with the clutch not engaging (apparently the windings on the clutch aren't sufficient to power it) and the TSB states that a compressor replacement is required (clutch not sold separately). It does appear that in my case the clutch engages/disengages.

I retested a bit later. Ambient temperature was 65F, the high pressure was at 100 psi and low started at 100 but gradually dropped to 89 after a minute or so. Made sure that both valves were closed on the manifold gauge. Stumped about what would cause the los side to be so high and the high side to be so low. Checked it with another gauge on the low side and got the same reading. My initial conclusion is the compressor has somehow failed but it does appear to be running because the clutch engages.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Ask a Question