Starts and idles but dies when I try and move the car

Reaction score
Hey guys,
So I have had this car for about a year it's driven great up until about a month and a half ago its an 07 wrx premium 2.5 turbo car is bone stock engine wise. the car will start and idle no problem however once I put it in 1st and try and take off it dies I have an inline fuel pressure regulator/gauge ordered and it will be here in a day or two. I know thays going to be one of the first questions asked is what is the psi is. I'm just trying to see if anyone has had the same issues and found the fix or if I'm just this lucky

Has any one scanned the engine controller for recorded faults? That is a good place to start.
Stock paper air filter? If it is one those garbage k & n, get rid of the gimmick and...
If the engine is in good operating condition and there are no turbo - induction leaks:
1. Install a paper filter
2. Clean the MAF sensor
3. Clean the throttle body
4. Replace the PCV valve and connected hose.
5. Make sure the EGR system is not stuck or dirty.
6. Test the throttle pedal for a clean and correct voltage sweep via scan tool.
7. Use high quality oil and filters that match your model.
8. If any ECM faults are found and deleted and the correct repairs are completed 1 through 6, then perform a throttle body adaptation and test again.

It has a clean air filter it's after market I'm not sure what brand though I'll clean step 2 and 3 and I'll replace 3 tomorrow and get my buddies scan tool and see what I can see and I'll let you know what happens in a day or two thanks for the input it's greatly appreciated

When the ECM is Reset and all DTC's have been cleared, the ECM idle control is also cleared.
If you have SSM3 or SSM4, simply instruct the ECM to set the idle speed.
Aftermarket bi-directional scan tools should be able to adapt the throttle program.
If there is no access to a factory style scan tool, you can recreate the proper conditions for the ECM to
relearn idle control and the correct RPM to maintain idle speed under load conditions.
Load conditions include:
Cooling fans ON or OFF
A/C request
Power Steering load request
Transmission load request
Any electrical load request

Procedure:
1. Ensure all power accessories ie: lighting, heater and electrical parasites are OFF.
2. Disconnect the battery negative for 30 minutes.
3. Reconnect the battery negative.
4. Following all steps without touching any switches or pedals. Use the ignition key only.
5. Insert key to the ON position only for 20 seconds.
6a. Turn the key so that the engine starts.
6b. Set timer for 20 minutes.
6c. Let engine idle for 20 minutes.
7. Turn key OFF and leave the key in ignition for 20 seconds.
8. Remove the key.
9. Repeat step 5 and Continue to step 10a when complete.
10a. Turn the key so the engine starts and set timer for 10 minutes.
10b. Let engine idle for 10 minutes.
11. Turn the key OFF and leave key in ignition for 20 seconds.
12. Remove the key. The ECM has relearned idle speed.

See if that works and post your success.

So we put the fuel pressure regulator on it showed 0 psi when at idle went ahead and swapped in the new pump and still showed 0 psi at idle. I cleaned the throttle body and sensor the idle air control and the man sensor it has a new pcv now. My buddy has the autel 800 blah blah I'm not sure it will do the throttle reprogram so we will do it manually as you have shown above. No codes pertaining to the fuel system have shown up. Any other insight???

2007 Impreza WRX premium 2.5L Turbo
Use the included schematic
Page 1 Main relay
Page 2 Fuel Pump Relay - Fuel Pump - Fuel Pump Control Module

Follow the connections on all 4 pages.

A decent scan tool will perform bi-directional controls to activate the fuel pump unless there's a component failure or loss of powers and or grounds.

The system is likely a "duty cycle" and the pump should momentarily come on with key on, key cranking and remain on with the engine running.
https://www.underhoodservice.com/subaru-pulse-width-modulated-fuel-pumps/
https://www.underhoodservice.com/pulse-width-fuel-pump-diagnostics/

Duty Cycle - PWM (Pulse Width Modulation)
Post your results.

Attachments

• 2007 Impreza WRX 2.5L Turbo ECM.pdf
    199.7 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Throttle adaptation done and fuel lines routed properly throught the aftermarket regulator fuel pressure is good and the car runs great again thanks for all your help

Great, now you need a decent SSM2 scan tool to monitor the engine activity. OBD II is OK but these links are much better. Post your success and how the vehicle behaves.
Post a photo of the regulator.
NEVER drive while looking at the screen! Use a passenger or screen record.
Great work around, well done.

Attachments

• Cables adjusted.txt
    1.5 KB · Views: 3

Ask a Question