Seeking help

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Saga Lout, Feb 6, 2020.

1. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

My 2000 Legacy Estate was made with pneumatic suspension. When I bought it, the front end had been changed to mechanical shocks and now five years down the line, the rear has given up the ghost, probaby because of a leak of air somewhere.

I can't put it in the fish tank and watch for the bubbles so I'm asking for any suggestions as to how I fix this. If I could get conventional shock absorbers off a breaker as a last resort but I'd rather repair the leak.

Suggestions, please folks.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2020
    Saga Lout, Feb 6, 2020
    1. Advertisements

2. Saga Lout

oldowner

You might put it on a lift, use a soapy water mix and spray it on the system watching for obvious bubbling much like you would when trying to find a leak in a tire.

oldowner, Feb 29, 2020
    1. Advertisements

3. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

Thanks but that didn't show anything a week ago when a garage tried it.

On Thursday, having had this problem for weeks, I noticed the body was way higher above the rear wheels than it had been and I didn't have to crawl over level street crossings or speed ramps. Today it's back to the previous setup. On Tuesday, I collect shocks and when I find someone to fix them, I'll say farewell to pneumatic suspension.

Before I do that, I would like to know how I could operate the system with only one switch which is named "Height" and whoich calls up a light on the dashboard. Someone told me it can vary the system to corner faster, not that I want to.

Saga Lout, Mar 1, 2020
  4. Saga Lout

oldowner

Any clues in the owners manual, X number of pushes on button = X psi CHANGE?

oldowner, Mar 1, 2020
  5. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

There's hardly anything on the subject of suspension in the manual I bought on eBay because the car didn't have one when I bought it. I've read so much on the subject on the Net but just found it more confusing.

Thanks for your help oldowner - maybe I should be 73yearowner. :D

Saga Lout, Mar 1, 2020
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question