Rattle Noise

Reaction score
Hello All,

I am new to the forum here. I just picked up an 09 Legacy 2.5 w/ 159k as a flip. I paid $400 bucks for it. I have been driving it around the last few days and determining what I need to do to maximize my profits.

Overall, the car is in great shape, especially for the price. T

Here is the question I have for you guys. I have a check engine light. p0028 for the intake valve solenoid on the drivers side (of course the side that is a pain in the butt to change). I just changed the oil, as I saw that could be an issue (oil was indeed dirty and low when I got it), and plan to check the resistance at these solenoids to confirm before resetting the code... but the car also has this rattle/clacking sound, only under load, and only right at 2800rpms. Totally quiet otherwise and runs smooth other than a squeal at start up (likely serpentine belt).

Could that rattle be related to the solenoid not providing proper oil pressure to the top end, or could that rattle be the timing belt/tensioner, which is 50-60k overdue for replacement?

If I was keeping the car I'd 100% change the timing belt/components, but if I don't have to, that is more money in my pocket...

Ask a Question