Overheating 99 Outback 2.5

Reaction score
Hi All,
My 99 Outback with 2.5 boxer is overheating. engine has had new headgaskets and timing belt and water pump replaced about 2 years ago. My daughter was driving it today and it started to get hot so she parked it right away. When I went to get the car the coolant was down in the radiator and the resevoir was down as well. I topped both off and started the engine. I kept radiator cap off for a while and added a little more coolant. I noticed that only the passenger side fan was running. We started to drive the Outback home and it started heating up within two miles. Heavy stop and go traffic unfortunately!! When I checked it the upper radiator hose was very hot, but the radiator cap was just warm at most. The hot upper radiator hose indicates to me that the thermostat was opening. but It is puzzling to me that the radiator cap was not hot as well. Had it towed home. I'll work on it tomorrow. I'm doing research on what to do. The easiest and cheapest thing to try is replacing the T-stat, but it doesn't seem to me to be the problem. Also, are the fans both controlled by engine temp as a primary and secondary? Or is one controlled by the engine temp and the secondary controlled by the AC? I will be trying to jumper the fans see if they both will work with current applied. Any suggestions??

Ask a Question