Outback stalls after battery replacement

Reaction score
Hi all. New to this forum (my very first post!). As stated, changed the battery (actually, didn’t change it - just used it briefly in my other car, but same difference) and now it stalls at every stop sign/red light unless I pump the gas. Tried the “re-learn” procedure I found on the web (twice) but no change. Was running perfectly before. 09 Outback standard transmission, 167,000 km. Any suggestions?

Is the battery really charged?? Put it on trickle charge for 10 hrs and see if that helps.

So you think a low battery would cause these symptoms? Car starts fine and I have driven it 1/2 hour a few times and as I said, tried the Re-learn procedure twice. In those videos they say don’t turn anything on but here (Canada) there are daytime running lights. Could that affect the re-learn?

So I finally took it in to the dealer, and when I explained the problem the service guy said “you know what we do to re-learn the idle? We just let it idle for 10 minutes!” Then another guy passing by (while the first guy was starting and revving - because it was running so rough) said “throttle body”. So the first guy said he could charge me $130/hr to clean it, whereupon I said “I can do that”. He said when you do the Re-learn, the ECU picks up other things when Re-setting. So I cleaned the throttle body and she runs (and idles) just fine! Lesson to be learned,

Ask a Question