Oil in Coolant

Reaction score
I have a 2015 Subaru Impreza Sport Limited. 188,000 miles. I am the original owner. Been experiencing oil temp light coming on during long trips. It Started at 170000 miles. After stopping for a few minutes the light goes out. Dealership diagnosed it to need to replace the oil pressure switch. Problem still persisted and was told to monitor it. Light came in during long trips especially driving through the mountain when engine under strain. During my recent long trip I had the same symptoms occur and had my car serviced for oil change in another State and was told radiator was leaking and there was oil in the coolant. I didn’t trust what I was being told and took to another mechanic. The radiator was tested and flushed. Nothing was wrong with radiator. Needed a new cap. New coolant put into it it.. Tested for blown head gasket and the vehicle passed three test. I made it home with no other problems, no oil temp light, and didn’t see any oil in the coolant…. **** history….131000 miles sensor light told them I needed a Valve Body replacement…which included a gasket transmission replacement. Could I have transmission fluid mixing with coolant????.

Have the coolant tested, oil will "float" on top of the coolant and change its colour.
Same at the transmission fluid, floats and colour changes.

Thanks so much for the reply. I don’t think I provided enough information. There was either oil or transmission fluid in my coolant. I did some research and was wondering if a transmission cooler might be failing and dumping transmission fluid in the coolant… warning lights “oil temp” come on when the car is packed and I am driving over mountains and there is a strain on the system. I just don’t know the type of transmission cooling system that in my car or how to articulate this to a repair guy. The dealership said they couldn’t tell me anything until they pull the engine out…… should I trust them at this point… that’s 8 hours of labor 190.00 bucks an hour… I just watched a video transmission cooler replacement that took 2 hours…in a garage… but if a transmission cooler would not be the culprit this is a mute point…

A transmission cooler can be isolated. Applying low pressure to one end, capping the other will indicate air escaping from the coolant reservoir if it has an internal leak. Pressure would means 2 to 5 psi with a pressure regulator.

dang, wish there was more info here, I have a 2015 impreza sport, I have oil in my coolant also. It does't over heat, there is no water in the oil. It does throw an engine light and my cruise control light flashes and cruise doesn't work, but it will turn off for a few days then come back on. I drive 74 miles one way to work, haven't had any problems. I was also wondering if the trans cooler could be leaking, but they made it so difficult to check your trans fluid. would be very interested to hear of any resolve with this issue. meanwhile I will just keep driving it till it doesn't run I guess, Lol.

dang, wish there was more info here, I have a 2015 impreza sport, I have oil in my coolant also. It does't over heat, there is no water in the oil. It does throw an engine light and my cruise control light flashes and cruise doesn't work, but it will turn off for a few days then come back on. I drive 74 miles one way to work, haven't had any problems. I was also wondering if the trans cooler could be leaking, but they made it so difficult to check your trans fluid. would be very interested to hear of any resolve with this issue. meanwhile I will just keep driving it till it doesn't run I guess, Lol.

Problem was resolved. On the side of the engine is where the I had a bad transmission oil cooler that went bad. That system runs at a higher pressure then coolant so oil was oil going into radiator. 185.00 part a few hours of labor and it’s been working great. Just had to find the right Subaru dealership. The one near me had already replaced a filter which did t work. Then wanted to pull the motor to diagnose… F that… a little research…. Oil cooler identified…

Thats great to hear, I can get an oil cooler online and do it myself, it's well worth it to throw an oil cooler in. My buddy had the thought thats what it was because of the color of the oil in the coolant, and the fact that there is no overheating issue or anything. thanks for posting.

Ask a Question