Oil changes

Reaction score
ok...I have a 2018 Outback Limited....We have had it since new...5500 miles on it...only one oil change....am I hurting it by having 2.5 year old oil in it????with that low of miles?
thanks

My general opinion:

Low mileage like yours has to mean a lot of short trips. When an engine is thoroughly warmed up & driven longer, condensation and combustion gases that get past the rings are heated up & removed by the PCV system, but if it's mostly short trips they accumulate in the oil. They tend to be acidic & aren't good for the oil or for the seals & gaskets. Probably matters more on a boxer engine. Warming up the engine, then changing the oil, flushes everything out.

I think it's a good idea to change the oil at least once a year, no matter the mileage.

It is only 30 bucks to change it your self. What does an engine job cost?? If your 2018 has the oil filter like my 2020 that is a snap. When you change the oil always do the filter, too. Get it good and hot and pull the plug. If you take it 'somewhere' they probably dont do that. Id rather have it hot and drain and get more of the suspended stuff out.

Ask a Question