No Audio Playing" audio lock up

Reaction score
I have a 2022 Subaru Outback.

Until today I've never had any BT connectivity issues between my car and my Samsung Galaxy Note 9.
Today when I got into the car the display shows "No Audio Playing" <-- this message shows up on the display

In fact the display seems LOCKED with this.
- power off/on the MFD (long pressed on the volume) didnt help.
- turn car off/on didnt help
- disconnect and reconnect BT from my phone didnt help.
- while locked up, even trying to change the audio source to RADIO didnt work. nothing "audio" related worked.

I read on www subaruoutback org/forums, about the same issue. But the thread was old, and involved older cars. Only useful info there was that other experience where later (some indeterminate time later) things would just work again. This I also experience.

I left to go into PetSmart. When I came back a few minutes later, the audio worked. I could switch between Radio and Media (playing Audible through BT connection with my phone).
I stopped at Ace Hardware a few minutes later. When I got back into the car, "No Audio Playing" lock up again.

I've deleted my phone in the car, and re-added it.
I've deleted the car from my phone and re-added it.
Neither appeared to help, though I'll try again.
I did have a refurbished replacement on my phone this week, but things seems to work even after that.
I bought a Garmin Edge 830 this week, and that added two BT connections to my phone. That also should not matter, but I might play with dropping those connections as well.

Anyone have prior experience with "No Audio Playing" issue? Did you fix it? How?

I am having the same issue - I can listen to an Audible book through BT or when I'm connect to the car charger and through the Android Subaru App. I can receive a phone call and they can hear me, I can't hear them. and the display says "no audio playing" . I have disconnected the phone and unpaired it, waited a while and paired it again. Still get the same "no Audio playing"

I;m having the same problem. Several sites have recommended disconnecting the battery for a minute as a fix - like I would for my DVR. There must be a real fix for this. The vehicle only has 28000 miles . How outdated are these computers?

I'm the OP. I no longer have a Note 9. At some point I got an Ultra 22+. However, after that one incident, that one particular day. I cannot say that I've ever had the issue again. its not clear to me what happened. I am thankful that it only happened that ONE time.

I'm an avid audible listener. The one thing that irks me, is how when I get into the car, audible just starts up before the car even start to move. While I love audible, I dont want my story to play while backing out. neither Subaru or Audible app seem to allow the app to just PAUSE and stay PAUSED until I hit play.

I learned in another area on this forum, a trick, on your you can hold down the audio source button on the steering wheel for a few seconds. This will disconnect the BT audio. Then when I come back into the car, that BT connection will not immediate start up playing audio. I actually get to "hit play" myself

Went to the dealer with the “no audio” problem. The updated the infomat software from 781 to 180. Problem gone for now

Ask a Question