New Outback XT Touring Owner

Reaction score
Greetings Fellow Forum Members:

This is my first post and I am happy to be a member here. I am the owner of a new 2021 Outback XT Touring and I am truly loving this vehicle! I've always admired Subaru vehicles for decades and have known of their stellar consumer reputations and buyer loyalty. This is my 2nd Subaru Outback purchase within a span of 5 months. I've never driven a Subaru vehicle until buying my 1st Outback last October 2020. A bit of history about that if you all don't mind.

In October 2020, after serving faithfully for 16 years and over 242,000 miles, my 2004 Mitsubishi Endeavor SUV finally became too expensive to further maintain (emission system failures and a leaking heater core, over $3,800 in estimated repairs). Don't laugh...we still have my wife's 2004 Mitsubishi Lancer LS with over 136,000 miles and she's still running strong, looks great (good paint and interior, no rust!) and has had no major mechanical issues! :) Because of a 140 mile round-trip daily work commute I needed a reliable vehicle quickly to replace the Endeavor. I purchased an excellent dealer-certified used 2019 Outback Limited 2.5L with just over 19,000 miles. It was a practical replacement for the Endeavor and my chance to finally own a Subaru.

After driving the vehicle for a few months, sometimes during my daily commute but primarily around town or shopping trips on weekends, I developed a major annoyance while driving the 2.5L Outback. The vehicle always seemed under-powered, was slow off the line, was sluggish around town and was constantly revving high (3,500 to 5,000 RPM) when pushed to keep up with traffic, when entering interstate ramps or when accelerating at highway speeds (from 55 to 65 mph or 65 to 75 mph). Compared to my Endeavor, which had a "torquey" 3.8L normally-aspirated V-6 and accelerated briskly at practically any speed, the Outback seemed more of a "dog" compared to my old FWD Endeavor.

After doing more vehicle research, I went back to the Subaru dealer for a trade-in to the 2021 Outback XT Touring with the 2.4L turbo engine. What a BIG difference in acceleration, handling and highway performance with the turbo engine and the Lineartronic TR690 CVT, which seems to shift like an 8-speed automatic transmission.

I am truly enjoying my new Outback XT 2.4L turbo over the previous Outback Limited 2.5L I've noticed a slight bit of turbo lag off the line but the vehicle accelerates so briskly that I needed to quickly back off the accelerator each time. I've now learned to modulate my foot movement on the accelerator for smoother takeoffs, gradual acceleration and more aggressive acceleration when it's needed.

Looking forward to sharing more of my Outback XT experiences and reading yours as well. Thanks for listening.

HerbTee

Ask a Question