New Outback 3.7

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm picking up my new Outback touring 3.7 sometime on Monday. I'm buying it from Grande Subaru in Chicago. I'll be driving it to my home in Florida and I'm concerned a bit about the break-in.. I understand not to exceed and 4000 RPMs and no heavy braking or acceleration during the first 1000 miles. I should be able to accomplish that driving home and my plan is to drive at a speed of 60 to 80 miles an hour varying the speed and RPM. I will not be using the cruise control. That should keep me under 4,000 and the variable RPMs hopefully will suffice for a good part of the break-in.. Anything else that I should be concerned about? I know this has probably been discussed before but would appreciate anything new especially on the 2019 3.7.

Hello everyone. I'm picking up my new Outback touring 3.7 sometime on Monday. I'm buying it from Grande Subaru in Chicago. I'll be driving it to my home in Florida and I'm concerned a bit about the break-in.. I understand not to exceed and 4000 RPMs and no heavy braking or acceleration during the first 1000 miles. I should be able to accomplish that driving home and my plan is to drive at a speed of 60 to 80 miles an hour varying the speed and RPM. I will not be using the cruise control. That should keep me under 4,000 and the variable RPMs hopefully will suffice for a good part of the break-in.. Anything else that I should be concerned about? I know this has probably been discussed before but would appreciate anything new especially on the 2019 3.7.
Sorry, I don't get it. Why should you be worried at all?

I understand the basic manual recommendations as I stated. I was simply asking the group if there's anything that I've I'm missing the perhaps may not be in the manual. Higher octane fuel for example for part or all of the trip. My plan is to keep this vehicle for a very long time. I have read stories of improper break ins and higher than normal oil consumption. Just looking for any pointers that others may have learned that is all.

Sorry, I don't get it. Why should you be worried at all?
Brand-new vehicles still need a break-in period.
Breaking in refers to the period during which you operate a new car, or a car with newly replaced parts, with a certain amount of care so that its components eventually adjust to each other and work together properly.

Brand-new vehicles still need a break-in period.
Breaking in refers to the period during which you operate a new car, or a car with newly replaced parts, with a certain amount of care so that its components eventually adjust to each other and work together properly.
Oh, never heard of that before.

Every car is different, so it's almost impossible for me to accurately point out the "pointers".

Everything important and necessary is in the manual. Nothing else.

Last edited:
I may be too late here but this is what I did on my 2.5.
Drive it like you said, very the speed, don't go over 4000, etc. On my 2.5 I didn't go over 3000rpm the first 1000 miles. I would also stop and let it sit for 10-15 minutes about every 2 hours. Then replace the oil filter at 1000 miles. They're less than $10.00 and easy to get to.
Babying it? yes. But I'm old school and this is the way we always did it in the past. I spent a lot of money on this Outback and if I baby it for the first 1000 miles what is it going to hurt?

Ask a Question