New first time Subaru owner

Reaction score
Hello all;
I am excited to say I am the proud owner of a Subaru Ascent. Drives like a dream. This is my first forum as well. I didn't see a category for the Ascent model I guess because it is new in 2019 but hoping that there will be enough people to create one for us. I live in the mountain town of Mt Shasta, CA about an hour from the Oregon border. I would venture to say that 50% of the locals here drive a Subaru! :)

I am curious and would like to ask if it is an odd feature that I turn the radio off and when I next start the car, it automatically comes back on. If I have my iphone music synced to the car system, it automatically starts with the first song on my entire play list. Over and over and over... I've never had this happen before. Is it common?

Thank you for any help!
Gigi

Hello all;
I am excited to say I am the proud owner of a Subaru Ascent. Drives like a dream. This is my first forum as well. I didn't see a category for the Ascent model I guess because it is new in 2019 but hoping that there will be enough people to create one for us. I live in the mountain town of Mt Shasta, CA about an hour from the Oregon border. I would venture to say that 50% of the locals here drive a Subaru! :)

I am curious and would like to ask if it is an odd feature that I turn the radio off and when I next start the car, it automatically comes back on. If I have my iphone music synced to the car system, it automatically starts with the first song on my entire play list. Over and over and over... I've never had this happen before. Is it common?

Thank you for any help!
Gigi
I am also a new Subaru ascent owner and did not notice that when test driving. Sales must have either turned tadio off after starting the car or left the volume on zero. Very annoying. I searched for options. Nothing worked. I have a list of announces in addition to that. The worst is the first full tank after using the gas that came with the car so truly the second tank averaged 15.5 mpg with mixed freeway and street driving. It’s one thing to camouflage a silly design error it’s another to flat out lie about the stated mpg stats
I can’t imagine ever getting another Subaru unless somehow once the car is broken in and improves the gas mileage
Did yours start with poor mileage and see improvement after a few hundred miles?

Hello all;

Thank you for any help!
Gigi

Gigi,
If you have the radio on BT media it will play music from your phone right away. You can change it by selecting something other than BT media. You can also change the setting in your phone to NOT allow media(music) stream. go into Bluetooth and click on "Subaru BT" unselect "Media Audio".

I am also a new Subaru ascent owner and did not notice that when test driving. Sales must have either turned tadio off after starting the car or left the volume on zero. Very annoying. I searched for options. Nothing worked. I have a list of announces in addition to that. The worst is the first full tank after using the gas that came with the car so truly the second tank averaged 15.5 mpg with mixed freeway and street driving. It’s one thing to camouflage a silly design error it’s another to flat out lie about the stated mpg stats
I can’t imagine ever getting another Subaru unless somehow once the car is broken in and improves the gas mileage
Did yours start with poor mileage and see improvement after a few hundred miles?

Srg,

You can go into the setting on the radio and select audio and adjust startup volume. As for your gas mileage, you have to take into consideration it is a turbo charged engine and they are very gas hungry under boost. Throttle response and position have a large factor in how much boost pressure the turbo is generating. Heavy on the pedal means heavy on the boost, in-turn gas mileage is heavier.

Srg,

You can go into the setting on the radio and select audio and adjust startup volume. As for your gas mileage, you have to take into consideration it is a turbo charged engine and they are very gas hungry under boost. Throttle response and position have a large factor in how much boost pressure the turbo is generating. Heavy on the pedal means heavy on the boost, in-turn gas mileage is heavier.

Thank you for your feedback. However, I do not drive heavy on the gas pedal, and if the car would get less mileage due to the turbo egine, they should not have stated 20 city/26 highway with an average of 22. The tank I am currently on, the car's third, was 90% highway and the car is reporting 19 mpg. Last tank the car said over 19 mpg but doing the math was actually 15.5. Sorry, this is a blatant divergence from the sticker and advertising. Maybe not all Subaru's are turbo, but my Ascent is so the sticker should have been more realistic. I drive with children and am more careful than most for not only safety, but concern about mileage. We are creating a list of pet peeves in advance of the next car we shop for but this is beyond the ridiculous design flaws. I have a list of those but tiny compared to the mpg issue.

Thank you for your feedback. However, I do not drive heavy on the gas pedal, and if the car would get less mileage due to the turbo egine, they should not have stated 20 city/26 highway with an average of 22. The tank I am currently on, the car's third, was 90% highway and the car is reporting 19 mpg. Last tank the car said over 19 mpg but doing the math was actually 15.5. Sorry, this is a blatant divergence from the sticker and advertising. Maybe not all Subaru's are turbo, but my Ascent is so the sticker should have been more realistic. I drive with children and am more careful than most for not only safety, but concern about mileage. We are creating a list of pet peeves in advance of the next car we shop for but this is beyond the ridiculous design flaws. I have a list of those but tiny compared to the mpg issue.

I am sorry you dislike your Ascent as much as you do. I hope you find that Subaru is a great brand and owner loyalty is a commitment they have. Good luck on your ventures and hopefully your issues are resolved as your ownership continues.

oops, I meant last tank the car reported 16.5 but the math was 15.5 Typo on my thread
I can't imagine MPG improving so much that it matches the stated mpg per sticker, but if it does, that would help to overlook the many little things that are annoying. Seems that the car's computer isn't even calculating mileage correctly. Sales said takes one tank for the car to calculate correctly, so I waited for the 2nd tank. I'll give that part more time, but how can time make up for the mileage being off by over 7%?? Sales said one tank would drive over 400 miles. Not even close. Nothing that I can overlook when I now have to stop for gas as often as I will need to. That said, long trips which was the plan are now a challenge to find gas along the way on a route we've been frequenting for over 30 years.
Total misrepresentation - nothing that I can ever live with.

oops, I meant last tank the car reported 16.5 but the math was 15.5 Typo on my thread
I can't imagine MPG improving so much that it matches the stated mpg per sticker, but if it does, that would help to overlook the many little things that are annoying. Seems that the car's computer isn't even calculating mileage correctly. Sales said takes one tank for the car to calculate correctly, so I waited for the 2nd tank. I'll give that part more time, but how can time make up for the mileage being off by over 7%?? Sales said one tank would drive over 400 miles. Not even close. Nothing that I can overlook when I now have to stop for gas as often as I will need to. That said, long trips which was the plan are now a challenge to find gas along the way on a route we've been frequenting for over 30 years.
Total misrepresentation - nothing that I can ever live with.

The vehicles computer can only account for gas mileage based on the info it has. If you've only driven 400 miles, thats hardly enough information for the computer to go off of. Wait til you are over the 1k mark and see how you are there. You can calculate the mileage yourself as well, fill the tank full, reset trip meter and drive until 1/2, record trip meter. Fill to full again, reset trip meter, drive until 1/2 again and record trip again. Take those two figures and divide by 19.3 gallons(Ascent fuel capacity). That will give you your MPG

ie: 210(miles at half) + 230(miles at 2nd half) = 440 / 19.3 = 22.79 MPG

Hope that helps!

I will check it again after 1k.
The accurate calculation to determine mpg is how many miles driven on how many gallons used.

I'm sorry to say I have the same experience with poor gas mileage on the Outback Onyx with turbo. I bought the car with expectations of great gas mileage. After 3500 miles my best mileage was 25 with an average of 22 - a far cry from the posted 23 to 30 mph. My dealer says it is due to cold Wisconsin weather in January and February. Very disappointed seeing how I bought the 2020 model because of turbo engine. Any other experiences?

The vehicles computer can only account for gas mileage based on the info it has. If you've only driven 400 miles, thats hardly enough information for the computer to go off of. Wait til you are over the 1k mark and see how you are there. You can calculate the mileage yourself as well, fill the tank full, reset trip meter and drive until 1/2, record trip meter. Fill to full again, reset trip meter, drive until 1/2 again and record trip again. Take those two figures and divide by 19.3 gallons(Ascent fuel capacity). That will give you your MPG

ie: 210(miles at half) + 230(miles at 2nd half) = 440 / 19.3 = 22.79 MPG

Hope that helps!
To properly calculate the mileage, you need to track how many miles driven and gallons pumped. You can't look at the gauge at half x 2 and presume it used 19.3 gallons. Write down gallons pumped at each fillup and miles driven. Add the total miles driven together and total gallons pumped and divide miles by gallons (as previously mentioned). Presuming a half tank x2 will give you 19.3 gallons is inaccurate and don't trust the onboard computer to give you accurate readings. it's just a guideline.

Ask a Question