Mysterious Misfire on my 2018 Forester

Reaction score
Hi. Does anyone have this symptom with their Forester or other Subaru??
I own a 2018 Forester, 4 cyl Boxer with 6 speed. It has 5000 miles on it. I have had this problem on/off since new: I am driving along and suddenly the car experiences an apparent "misfire".
It happens intermittently. I will be driving and it will be fine and then suddenly this misfiring will intermittently start happening. During the misfire, the car momentarily loses power, (happens within a 1/2 second or so).

No extreme heat nor cold weather weather-wise, though I do notice it more in warmer weather.

I normally experience it when I am up to cruising speed in say 5th or 6th gear as opposed to slower speeds.

I brought it into the dealer after my first 6 months of ownership and they told me that unless I see a "Check Engine" light or other panel lights go on, it means that no error codes are generated and therefore they have nothing to look at in diagnostics nor any error codes to go by. There are none for them to use.

Each time this happens, it makes me feel that the car could die and leave me stranded but unless dash lights come on and error codes are generated, the dealer says there is nothing they can do.

Has anyone experienced this and if so, what if anything was done about it? Thanks much.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ask a Question