Mechanic said "Shop can not perform A/C service reason being...."

Reaction score
Thanks for letting me join, I hope I don't overwhelm your kindness and patience with my dumb questions. Took my '99 Wagon into shop to check why AC not working. I"m reading off the bill, this is a direct quote. "Tech says shop can not perform A/C service reason being there is contaminates (Hydro Carbons) in cooling system which would harm shops machine." Two hours later, come pick up the car. I was given a bill of $124.77, and the same explanation as above quote. Isn't the cooling system closed, radiator etc., and separate from the AC system? I'm blind and frustrated from reading, watching videos, reading more about the AC and cooling system, while trying to inform myself so I don't look like an idiot should I take the bill back to shop. Many thanks to anyone reading this and offering advice. Please don't laugh to loud or long!

First and foremost have them define cooling system. Sometimes a vehicle's a/c system is considered a cooling system. Second, there's no way hydro carbons would be in the system unless there's a line somehow picking up the crankcase gases or exhaust gases. That's just my thoughts.

Hi Danh, Your thoughts are important, thank you for your response. I will take your advice and question them about the cooling system. Then go from there. I'm guessing because I'm a female, taking advantage is easy for some. Thanks again.

Ask a Question