may trade '18 Hylander for '23 Outback Touring, do i really need the XT?

Reaction score
Hello, I'm a newbie potential Subie -
I've always had Toyotas... my 2018 Hylander with 49K miles has disappointing MPG... otherwise comfortable, but the Outback appeals to me and I got a great offer on my Hylander recently.
Considering a 2023 Outback Touring. Do i really need the XT ? I've read that unless you live in the mountains the XT is not really needed ? Does the regular Touring have enough zip to pass trucks quickly and go up steep hills without feeling it ? Salesman said the XT has only been around for 2 years and before that, people had Outbacks in the mountains without XT's. I'm not in the mountains, but do go to West Tx. with some steep inclines. MPG on the regular Touring is better than the XT as you know.. Are the seats on the higher trim levels comfortable for long trips ? I've also considered a '23 Honda CRV (non hybrid), and I'm still looking around, but need to decide within a few weeks while I still have this offer. CVT is different than the V6 I'm used to. but Suburu has an excellent reputation. I have considered a new Ascent. Might test drive one. What else do you think I should know ? Thank you !

I just traded an '18 Highlander XLT as well. Bought the non-turbo Outback Touring. I have zero regrets for the non-turbo, I see plenty of power (Wisconsin) so no mountains to climb here. I too received a good trade in and moved quickly. I've only had the Outback a few weeks, it's still winter and there have been no long trips. I'm very happy with my choice.

On a sub note, I'm surprised at your MPG on the Highlander. In 60K miles, mine averaged 24.6. Pretty impressive I thought. I was way less than satisfied with the Toyota. I too have owned them for years. I have probably bought my last one.

I just traded an '18 Highlander XLT as well. Bought the non-turbo Outback Touring. I have zero regrets for the non-turbo, I see plenty of power (Wisconsin) so no mountains to climb here. I too received a good trade in and moved quickly. I've only had the Outback a few weeks, it's still winter and there have been no long trips. I'm very happy with my choice.

On a sub note, I'm surprised at your MPG on the Highlander. In 60K miles, mine averaged 24.6. Pretty impressive I thought. I was way less than satisfied with the Toyota. I too have owned them for years. I have probably bought my last one.
Thanks so much, this is very helpful info. I'm really torn now between a new Suburu Touring (not XT) and a new Hylander Hybrid. That one is supposed to be good too. Thanks again!

A bit more money for the Hybrid HY. In the end I eliminated all Hybrid (looked at the CRV as well). The cost was just a bridge too far for the little extra mileage. As i said, I got >24 MPG on the gas V6. The hybrid only offered at best 30 average. It would take forever to make up the money. The CRV was a bust as it didn't even sport a spare tire because of the battery location/size. I don't know yet what the Outback will do, but I suspect average in the 27-28 range. The build quality of the Subaru is very good. I was less than excited after driving the HY 4+ years. I had two major issues with the SUV and in the end opted to try Subaru. For what its worth, the Outback electronics is one big reason I went this route. The center screen is very nice. I believe the entire cockpit looks better than the Toy too.

Write back later after you decide and let us know what way you went.

Ask a Question