Manual transmission question

Reaction score
Hello everyone! New to the forum here! I am currently leasing a 2019 Subaru Impreza Limited 5-Door and I really love the car. When the lease is up, we are going to buy the car out and keep it and my wife will use it as her daily driver. I will need a new car. I am currently learning how to drive stick shift after regretting never learning all these years, and I would like my next car to be a stick shift. I would like to know what people think of the manual transmissions on the Subarus and which would be the best choice for a new manual transmission driver. The WRX offers the most creature comforts with the manual transmission, but I am concerned that it may be too much car for me. It is also more expensive, and while if I love the car I wouldn't mind paying more for it, I just don't care enough about performance to justify it- but I like that I can have leather seats and other amenities. I was happy with the Impreza, but I have heard mixed things about the 5-speed manual. Of course, being new to manual driving I don't really understand what they are saying. I also wonder if there is a difference in the handling between the sedan and the 5-door. I don't really know 5-speed vs 6-speed and whether or not the Crosstrek would be a better option if I wanted to go manual. I've read several articles touting the Corolla Hatchback as the best manual car for new manual drivers because of rev matching and other features, but I think I would prefer the AWD. I'd appreciate any insight or thoughts. Thanks!!!

My suggestion would be to look into the Crosstrek Premium with manual trans. Yes, they are available. Yes, they are hard to find though. 6 speed manual I feel is better than the 5 in the Impreza. I would definitely consider the WRX Limited if you really want something fun to drive and has all the creature comforts. I personally think the WRX is the best bang for buck compared to what it offers in a similar price. My next choice to the WRX would be a GTI but no AWD...

Ask a Question