Los Key Fob 2018 Impreza Mess

Reaction score
Hi and thank you for letting me join,

Yesterday, I lost my last key fob for my 2018 Impreza while hiking along the ocean. The tide had just turned back to coming in and I walked the water's edge so, yes, the key is gone. My daughter lost my other key by the water at a different spot as well.

After a nightmare with State Farm's roadside assistance last night, I finally got it to Subaru where they were going to make the new key and fob. I just received a call that they cannot make a new key, because a genius engineer at Subaru made this incompatible with the current systems (that's my understanding at least). Now they have to pull parts off the engine, send them to Subaru who will erase the data, send them back so they can be reprogrammed (or maybe Subaru does this), and then they can get me new keys. It will take time (bummer, but they'll get me a loaner car) and will now cost $1000. Yes, you read that right. Up from the $400 it would have been if they just made two new fobs.

The technician was not even aware of this issue until he started working on my car. Good times. I am going to ask Subaru to cover this as it sounds like their problem and error. I would have gotten another key if I had known.

Anyway, I have several questions.

1) Had anyone dealt with this?

2) What happens if I just disable the security system and go to a key? I'll ask the technician, but want to have some idea of the inner workings of this car before then.

3) Who is best a Subaru to talk to get them to pay for the extra costs?

4) Not a question, but if you're down to one key and fob- Get one made now!

Thank you!

K

Ask a Question