I'm Here Because of Subaru's Buy Back Warranty

Reaction score
Hello,

I purchased a new 2015 Outback Limited 2.5 (EyeSight, etc.). I also purchased the Gold Warranty which is a Buy Back Warranty. Have you heard of the Buy Back Warranty. Basically, it extends the duration of the factory warranty and if it was not used at the time of expiration the buyer is refunded 100% of the cost. Sounds pretty good.

To receive the refund, you must complete a long list of items and submit them to the program manager. If you did it right, you should receive a check for the full amount paid.

But nope. I received a letter indicating that the company who Subaru works with to issue the refunds committed a crime. The letter went on to say "do not call us...".

I contacted my Subaru Dealer and got hold of sales who told me the buy back program is actively being sold. Eventually I got hold of the finance manager, who sold the warranty to me; who told me that the program is not being sold. I indicated what sales told me, and voila, the FM said well it is being sold but managed by a different company. I explained the letter to the FM who in turn told me the letter I received just came to their attention by another buyer. The FM went on to say that there's nothing they can do for me.

I did a little research and discovered that there are many Subaru buyers who also have not received a refund, going back several years.

So I'd like to know if anyone here has any experience, good or bad with the Buy Back warranty program that I'm talking about.

Thanks a bunch.

I just purchased a 2022 OB with the Gold Extended Warranty. I was told that this is through Subaru, not a 3rd party company. however it did not include or mention a buy back policy.

The documentation provided to me at the time of the sale included a document titled "Vehicle Service Contract Buy Back Agreement". It is part of the Gold Extended warranty that I purchased. The program is managed by a 3rd party. And my understanding is the coverage is from yet a different party altogether. Bottom line; there are multiple companies involved and each is pointing at the other. If in the future, I am presented with a buy back program, I would absolutely decline it.

Ask a Question