Help w/ '97 Legacy with a real mystery issue (and then some...)

Reaction score
I have a 1997 Subaru Legacy that has an issue that has stumped 2 mechanics already, and I am at a loss... I am still learning and trying to fi up this car as a project of mine, but also (and probably more importanly), this is my only vehicle. Im a single mama so I try to save the money by doing the work myself, and it makes me proud to say ive fixed it myself. My goal is to get this puppy into amazing shape, but im not sure if that possible...

I guess I will start with the biggest issue and the mystery that has frustrated and stumped 2 professional (and maybe lazy) mechanics, and then list the other issues that Id love to get your guys opinion on.

Heres the facts:

The Mass Air Flow Mystery
  • Car engine will shut off at random times while parked, or while going 60 mph.
  • Rpms will flutter, and then drop.
  • Seems as if hitting rough roads or a sudden bump will set it off. Almost as if there is a loose or cracked hose and bumps cause the hose to move, thus making it not airtight. Upon inspection, I have not seen any sign of faulty hoses and neither has the 2 mechanics.
  • Diagnostics read the code for a Mass Air Flow Sensor defect.
  • Purchased 2 brand new sensors on 2 separate occasions. Both times the car will not even function, AT ALL. Why wouldn't it just continue to malfunction as the car was with the old sensor if the sensor isn't the problem? Why does the issue get worse with a brand new sensor?
  • Brought to 2 different mechanics on 2 separate occasions. Both dudes I had explained the issue and that I had tried to replace the sensor with new ones, and had gotten a strange result. Both mechanics ignored my knowledge and purchased new sensors, and upon my return, scratched their heads and said they weren't sure what the problem was. At that point, I was so mad and frustrated they treated me like I was some dumb broad, I just left. I don't want those kind of people working on my car if they cant even listen to me and my experiences.
  • The problem is obviously related to the MAFS and is located somewhere along the line which would cause it to malfunction, I just dont know what and neither did those 2 mechanics.
Faulty Fuses
  • I keep popping fuses and now my rear lights, blinkers, and dash lights have stopped working, Hazards, brake lights and headlights still function.
  • Car ran fine for a good 4 months without replacing a single fuse, but the issue had just recently returned out of the blue.
  • It seems as if the previous owner had zip tied the left rear wires onto the arm hidge of the trunk to keep it out of the way and avoid getting smashed. It appears like it had gotten some good abuse prior to the zip tie fix.
Sticky Shifter

• last year it would not shift into any gear and was stuck in park (automatic). I had rigged it and stuck an alan wrench into the drilled hole to disengage the shifter. It did this a few times and then the issue just stopped out of nowhere. It would shift normally with no use of my handy alan wrench button for a year. All of a sudden it started back up.
Any Ideas, advise, or suggestions are helpful! If you need more information or pictures, I can get you anything you need to help you figure out the problems. I am in a real bind here and could use all the help I can get. I dont really have any funds to buy a new, safe car for me a my baby, so I need to work with what I got.

Thanks for reading! PLEASE EXCUSE ANY TYPOS!
  • Ive read that the lights and the shifter may be caused by the same issue. What that issue might be, I have no clue, but I have read that they are somehow connected. And it seems like the shifting issue had returned around the same time that the rear lights issue had returned.

With the list of problems you listed I would find, clean and reconnect ground wires. Bad connections can cause all sorts of problems. My 09 Legacy has at least 8 ground wires on the engine and body. Negative ground wire from the battery to the block too. Pull fuses and reinstall to clean them up a bit. Look for the simple and obvious before replacing parts.

Also, look for chewed wires.

Ask a Question