Hello from Oak Harbor, WA

Reaction score
My name is Nate. I'm a life long gear head who until now have been primarily an aircooled German guy till now. I've owned countless classic VWs over the years. I ownee and ran my own VW/Porsche shop for 14+ years until a couple years ago. I got burned out on the business side of running the business and decided to go a different direction.

In the past 5 to 7 years, I've been bit by the road racing bug HARD! My last build was my 1967 VW Squareback wagon that I grafted Porsche 911 front suspension/brakes, Porsche 944 rear suspension/brakes , transplanted a big 2.3L stoker Porsche 914 engine (dry sumped, running MS3X fully sequential fuel and spark) running through a Porsche 911 5speed trans. Aa smart guy would have just bought a damn Porsche, but that ain't ME! ;-) My son and I have raced it on the salt at Bonneville in 2014 and 2016 as well as multiple track days at various tracks across the PNW. Below is a photo of my son and I putting our car through its paces down in Medford, OR back in 2016.

1617643.jpg

So the reason I'm here is because my next build that I'm planning is a fairly rare 1965 Notchback which is a coup version of the car above. I've spent about 3 years gathering parts and tools in preparation for this build. I'm planning to build a full tube chassis for this build since the factory "pan" chassis is just too much of a li biting factor and compromise for my goals. Ive acquired a full 2002 Porsche Boxster suspension/brakes set and recently picked up a running SOHC EJ25 from an Outback to use as a core and a Forester 5 speed manual. My reasons for getting what I got was simple, I dont want to deal with variable valve timing and be forced to run a stock ECU and its going to be run in a mid-engine 2WD configuration and the 5 speed can be easily converted to 2WD.

The motor will be built from the ground up to be a turbo'd engine with my goal being a reasonable 350hp. I expect the car to be very light (sub-2000# probably around 1700#), so 350hp will be plenty. it will be built as a dedicated track car that has two seats, lights and a license plate, but should be pretty impracticable for street use other than to punish the H*nda fart-cars on occasion. ;-) Since my build is going to be fairly low hp compared to what most guys are looking for, my goal with the motor is reliability. I plan to build it like I want 500hp, but really want to be able to thrash on 350ish without worry.

Since Subarus tech is all new to me, expect some pretty basic compatibility questions from me and other technical stuff that comes up during my build. Thanks in advance and I look forward to becoming a Subaru-guy in the process!

Wow, what a great experience that must have been :D.

Welcome aboard Nate!

Ask a Question