Grinding noise under the hood…

Reaction score
Hi: Going to ask a mechanic but thought I might get some insight here first. Over the last 3 months a grinding/whining sound has developed under my hood as I drive with some very specific characteristics, and I’d like to get a “second opinion” from anyone who might know what it is.

A. Only happens when my foot is off the gas, starts up as soon as I get off the accelerator
B. Started out very faint “Am I hearing something?” And is now much more prominent
C. The pitch of it goes up and down not really correlated to the speed of the car or the tach (the speed will almost double while the tach goes up only 100rpm)
D. Does seem to be coming from under the hood, rather than from under the car.

What would be under there that’s not really tied to the RPM of the engine? Might it be an alternator or some such thing? I replaced the serpentine belt a couple months back but that did nothing, is it maybe the fan for the radiator that speeds up and slows down, or some such? Any advice or anywhere to look welcome, thanks!

Ask a Question