Google Maps on CarPlay

Reaction score
After upgrading, perhaps inadvisably, to iOS 15.2 on my iPhone 12 mini, Google Maps is giving me a blank display on the car's screen (2021 Sport). The app is working on the phone and the directions are given through the car's audio system. I just don't see any streets. The Apple Maps app is working. Is it a glitch with Apple CarPlay or a problem with the interface between the phone and car? I am getting the car's software updated tomorrow, so here's hoping. In any case, I thought I would ask if anyone else has encountered this problem.

Here is an update. After the software update Google Maps is now working. Anyone have any ideas about how to get notice of future software updates. The dealer referred me to Subaru of America and Subaru of America referred me to the dealer!

Google and apple work against each other on software so updates for iFails takes longer. As I dont accept, approve or condone anything apple does I cant be much help there but google will push updates out once apple has supplied them with the proper software code to do so.

Whatever was the initial problem and whatever was the solution, all is working now after the update of the Subaru software. I notice that sometimes it will take a little longer than expected for the visuals to load on Google Maps when in CarPlay. But all seems well for now. Thanks for your replies and Happy New Year.

Software updates... So I just took delivery of my new 22 Sport on 2/25. While sitting in my driveway getting more acquainted and accustomed to the Starlink interface, I adjusted various settings to my liking. One of which was WiFi. I made sure WiFi was on (not a hotspot, just the car's WiFi) then I connected to my home network (I was parked about 5-7' from my garage and bedroom above it so my network was immediately visible). After fiddling a bit more, my screen popped up a message saying "your device's software is up to date". So, if you ensure WiFi is on and connect to your network, the system should auto-update whenever there is an update ad you're within range. Good luck all!

Attachments

• IMG_1854.JPG
    IMG_1854.JPG
    338.4 KB · Views: 31
My 2021 Crosstrek Limited automatically updates in my garage from my Villa WiFi somewhat regularly. There's a setting under SYSTEMS (I think that's what it is) to set it to automatically update.

Be patient, as noted Google and Apple don't always play well. They get it in a few days usually, but it happens.
My folks have a google camera system, and it works fine for me, but can get glitchy on their iOS. The big deal was after they changed internet providers. It took an act of congress, and happened about as fast, to get it going again.

Ask a Question