Forrester and CVT Transmission- Expected Life

Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking to get a new vehicle and was considering the Forrester. I've never had a Subaru before and when researching I noticed it has a CVT transmission rather than automatic. I didn't know much about this so I did some research. From what I read, it sounds like they usually have a lifespan of 100k. My hope in buying a vehicle is to get about 150k miles before I would need to deal with a transmission issue (and I know nothing is guaranteed). Yet I was surprised to read this- and was wondering if that's really accurate?? I want to get a long life out of a vehicle, but when I read that, I was very turned off, in addition to more expensive repairs for CVTs rather than automatics. Just wanted to inquire and see what other's opinions are.

Thanks.

I cannot speak to the Subaru CVT trans, but I can tell you this. The trans shop I use, and have for 30 plus years, builds all sorts of transmissions, including racing transmissions, etc. My shop got a call from a guy with a Ford CVT trans he needed rebuilt, so I call my go to shop. They told me they do NOT build those transmissions, they are a pain, and parts are very expensive. They buy a trans from the dealer, and what ever warranty the dealer gives is what you get. They warranty their transmissions for life, so that tells you something.
Again, I have NO experience with Subaru CVT's, my only experience with CVT's is above.
Tom

Ask a Question