first time buyer

Reaction score
i'm looking at an 06 forester with 66k on it tomorrow - what should i be looking out for? and what can i expect to need to do maintenance wise in the next ~ 40k miles and what should have already been done? i know foresters have a few big repairs they all need done (i believe it's a head gasket and/or a belt of some sort?) at a certain mileage but for some reason im having trouble finding info. thanks in advance :)

i'm looking at an 06 forester with 66k on it tomorrow - what should i be looking out for? and what can i expect to need to do maintenance wise in the next ~ 40k miles and what should have already been done? i know foresters have a few big repairs they all need done (i believe it's a head gasket and/or a belt of some sort?) at a certain mileage but for some reason im having trouble finding info. thanks in advance :)

I just bought my first Subaru Forester. I always use consumer reports.org when I buy a vehicle I would recommend it to anyone! On CR 2006 was a bad year, but back then they all had head gasket issues around 70,000 miles because of the way the oil settled when the car was not running. That issue I believe was resolved after 2012 or around there. My brother has a 2009 that has never had any major repairs and he has 250,000 and going strong. If the '06 was well maintained with regular oil changes it could be a good buy, but I would make sure the head gaskets are good.

I was serious about an ‘06 that was rough around the edges then found an ‘11 X Sport in Cherry condition. Roughly 7 or 8 % more mileage (127k). Same money. I think ‘09 forward does not have the head and leakage issues.

Ask a Question