First oil change

Synthetic oil gets changed approx every 10,000 miles. I've owned high-performance M BMW's with synthetic and changed every 16,000kms...so around 10k miles. Good enough for BMW, good enough for Subaru. There will definitely be those who recommend every 6,000 miles or thereabouts, but again, it's synthetic. Absolutely no need. Maybe the older models...don't know.

I tend to follow the manufacturers recommended interval when I'm still in the warranty period. That way you are not breaking that warranty agreement.

6k miles is the recommended first oil change. I'm sure you could do sooner, but have no idea why...

Last edited:
So what is the agreed mileage for the first oil change, '23 Outback.
1000 to 1500 miles seems to be a good point. This assumes you are in the camp that sees benefit (real or perceived) in doing this. I am, and have done this on many vehicles at 1000 miles.

I tend to follow the manufacturers recommended interval when I'm still in the warranty period. That way you are not breaking that warranty agreement.

6k miles is the recommended first oil change. I'm sure you could do sooner, but have no idea why...
Agreed. Usually first oil change is soon after, thereafter, follow manufacturer's schedule. Zero point in doing more often given it's synthetic. Save your $ for other things...

1000 to 1500 miles seems to be a good point. This assumes you are in the camp that sees benefit (real or perceived) in doing this. I am, and have done this on many vehicles at 1000 miles.
Seriously? Every 1,000? or did you mean 10,000? I assume the latter...

I was looking for first oil change. I know how long synthetic goes thereafter. I'm an aviator, piston engines tend to have a "breakin" timing. Lots of wear occurs in the first few hours. Wear brings metalic oil. I sort of thought in my mind to do at 2-3000 first then 6ish thereafter. I use Amsoil and they recommend 10K intervals.

I was looking for first oil change. I know how long synthetic goes thereafter. I'm an aviator, piston engines tend to have a "breakin" timing. Lots of wear occurs in the first few hours. Wear brings metalic oil. I sort of thought in my mind to do at 2-3000 first then 6ish thereafter. I use Amsoil and they recommend 10K intervals.
Not enough that the filter doesn't filter it. Obviously no harm, but the manufacturer recommends first oil change at 6k. ‍♂️

Synthetic oil gets changed approx every 10,000 miles. I've owned high-performance M BMW's with synthetic and changed every 16,000kms...so around 10k miles. Good enough for BMW, good enough for Subaru. There will definitely be those who recommend every 6,000 miles or thereabouts, but again, it's synthetic. Absolutely no need. Maybe the older models...don't know.
That's pretty rich "good enough for BMW, good enough for Subaru". Significantly different engines and oil delivery systems as well as overall oil capacity. My Porsche Cayenne S was also 10K. Does not mean it is also good for other manufacturers or vehicles.

That's pretty rich "good enough for BMW, good enough for Subaru". Significantly different engines and oil delivery systems as well as overall oil capacity. My Porsche Cayenne S was also 10K. Does not mean it is also good for other manufacturers or vehicles.
Yes, you're right, they are completely different engines. Significantly more performance oriented, higher revs etc...however, if subaru says the interval is 6 months, so be it. I always follow manufacturer's guidelines. Have a nice day chief.

Hi new here just bought a 2023 Outback yesterday. I live in Canada so we work in Kilometers not miles but I was told to do my first oil change at 3,000km (1,864miles) and then every 6/000km after that but no idea why.

I replaced oil filter at 500. First oil change at 3000. No reason. Just for my peace of mind. It's my car. Cost $40. I do believe.

Ask a Question