Finally got to hit a deer

Reaction score
Going 55 MPH trying to get up to 60 towing a small teardrop, in Colorado, going uphill, dusk, and FIVE deer ambushed usBAM! Deer number three took a direct hit to its side just slightly left of the center of the hood. Airbags were not deployed.

We were lucky. No chance to slam on the brakes (or even stop accelerating) which can cause the hood to dip and send the poor animal up and over (into the windshield), or swerve, so it went under the car and trailer. We were about halfway home to Seattle after visiting Miami, the radiator, headlights, tires, --everything we needed to carry on was intact. We were shaken up a bit.

Days later, on the way to our bodywork appointment (left quarter panel, hood, headlights, front bumper, grill, and the plastic under the car, etc.), the dash instruments went haywire. The speedometer bounced from 0 to 140 and back, the cruise control was flashing, ABS warning light went on, and the driver (my sweetie) was kind of freaked.

I took over driving and noticed that the cruise control could not be turned off - it just kept flashing. Having rehearsed mentally what to do if any car decided on its own to accelerate, or if a cruise control ever was stuck, I didn't dare try to set it and made it to the body shop.

I don't yet have any codes that may have been thrown; I'm posting here prematurely in case anyone wants to chime in with advice (besides avoiding driving during dusk and dawn - lol).

Ask a Question