Driver Profile vs Driver Monitoring

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 2022 Forester with Driver Monitoring. So far it is working fine and recognozes me when I sit in the drivers seat. When pairing our phones, we paired my wife's phone first. If we are both in the car, the Driver Profile associated with her phone is alllways selected, even though the Driver Monitoring system has recognized me. I found the quickest remedy is to access the phone and connect the bluetooth device. The Driver Profile then changes. My question, has anyone found a better work-around to this problem? It would be great if Subaru would update the software to select the Driver Profile based on the registered driver the facial recognition software identifies (assuming the driver names are the same).

I thought that is the way it worked not by which phone was selected. If that’s what the selection is based upon that is pretty lame and downright dumb! I think we are having a similar issue. Have not tried your suggestion but will. We noted that when my wife entered the car to drive, the multifunction display was stuck on asking for a press of the info button as if something wasn’t set properly?? It still shows her as a register user but somehow the facial recognition was left behind or ignored. I think we renamed her profile from driver A to her first name. Could it be that no such editing is allowed after the scan is completed??? That is to say it might wipe out the previous facial scan?

I wonder if modifying the seat or mirror positions to an existing profile actually gets saved or are the changes simply discarded when switching off the ignition? Could it be that any edits made would erase the facial recognition? Any thoughts?

Thanks

If you car has the "Seat Memory" buttons on the door, I suggest first saving the settings there. I have done this because I cannot get the "Retract Upon Entry" option to work. Next, I would delete the "registered driver" entry and start all over to re-register the driver. I would also then re-save the settings in the driver profile settings. I know its foolish that these setting are stored in 3 different places, but I dont know which one has priority over the others. It seems that the buttons on the door are not connected to the other 2 settings options. I was having some issues early on, but since I did this, it has been working properly. Good luck!

If you car has the "Seat Memory" buttons on the door, I suggest first saving the settings there. I have done this because I cannot get the "Retract Upon Entry" option to work. Next, I would delete the "registered driver" entry and start all over to re-register the driver. I would also then re-save the settings in the driver profile settings. I know its foolish that these setting are stored in 3 different places, but I dont know which one has priority over the others. It seems that the buttons on the door are not connected to the other 2 settings options. I was having some issues early on, but since I did this, it has been working properly. Good luck!
Thanks but that’s a band-aid that might work for you but NOT the way this is supposed to operate according to the owners manual. The easy out is much more desirable to “park” the drivers seat fully rearward to accommodate exiting and make ready for entry of other registered drivers. Since Subaru seems to have completely overlooked this feature entirely provided by the others like GM as a standard.

I'm sorry I was not clear. My most recent reply was to your question regarding the facial recognitiojn getting "stuck". Regarding "retract upon entry", all of these suggestions are band-aids for the failure of the option to works per the user manual. One person from Subaru suggested that if the car is equipped with facial rec, the "retract upon entry" option does not work (by desaign and in contradiction to the user manual). Someone else at Subaru disputed that idea, and offered a work-around like the one you have adopted.

I'm sorry I was not clear. My most recent reply was to your question regarding the facial recognitiojn getting "stuck". Regarding "retract upon entry", all of these suggestions are band-aids for the failure of the option to works per the user manual. One person from Subaru suggested that if the car is equipped with facial rec, the "retract upon entry" option does not work (by desaign and in contradiction to the user manual). Someone else at Subaru disputed that idea, and offered a work-around like the one you have adopted.

Ok thanks for the additional information. That’s even more pathetic on Subaru’s part! Why tout the FR as they do then say if you use it no retract on entry. My God do they not have ANY experience with this “classic” nothing novel about it. FR should work at least according to the documentation.

Now I’m beginning to wonder what other more serious issues may be lurking. I would however expect Subaru to be fully engaged in supporting updates to correct these acknowledged mistakes.
Thanks for the additional info!

Ask a Question