Does your CVT shift like a regular geared trans?

Reaction score
My wife's 2010 Outback with CVT will go up to a certain RPM and stay there until the car gets up to speed. My 2017 Legacy supposedly has CVT but the RPMs (and feel of movement) act as though it has a 6 speed. I suspect it doesn't actually have CVT.
Anyone else have a newer Legacy that has CVT do steady RPMs or is this some "feature" to make it feel like it has gears? In which case the point of having CVT is lost on me.

my 17 legacy 3.6 has a cvt and it doesnt feel like a conventional one either. It has the usual delay when pressing the gas but it feels just as agressive as a normal transmission.

A lot of customers complained that their CVT felt like they were slipping when they stepped on the gas. If you've ever had a manual transmission with a worn out clutch, the CVT feels just like that when you step on the gas. So in the MY 2015 Subarus, they put in simulated shift points. When you step on the gas, you get a distinct downshift.

Mine is a 2014 and I like the CVT, however my only complaint about it is that it appears that the engineers who programed the shifting followed the old rule of thumb to shift at 10% past the peak where a CVT should shift right at the peak. That would have solved the feeling of the CVT slipping IMHO.

Ask a Question