Differential fluid

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to the forum. Thanks for having this available.

Subaru is recommending differential fluid replaced at 15k. Car is 1.6 year young, I find it a bit soon to replace. Cost is $229.
If I do their 15k package ($515) the $89 oil change is free, includes diff replacement.

thoughts?

pete

Changing diff oil at 15k sounds way too soon. You would have to be doing daily hardcore off-roading, or have gotten water in one or both differentials. Just in case you weren't aware, there are two differentials; one up front near the transmission, and one in the rear between the axle shafts. The other part of your question sounds like typical dealer rip-off.

I would say do it yourself. It's not very hard at all. It's like changing engine oil. Assuming you have a ratchet set, all you need to get are a Torx T-70 bit (amzn.to/3MSGKBO) for the front diff drain plug, and a 13mm square drain socket for the rear diff (amzn.to/3VKS1rK). It helps if the car is warm, and lifting the front of the car up a few inches makes draining the rear diff much easier, since both the drain and fill plugs sit horizontally. On that note, once you're ready to refill, lower the front end back down, and having one of these on hand makes refilling the rear diff a breeze: (amzn.to/3yYjUTr). Just make sure you're using the right gear oil specified for your exact model/year.

One last note: definitely wear gloves, and gear oil STINKS. Just a heads up.

Diff-Oil_Pump-01.jpg

Diff-Oil_Pump-02.jpg

thanks delicate. Really appreciate you writing this thorough explanation. Lots of detail. Love pics. That looks like extensive work. Last time I changed oil was a ‘89 (I think) Buick century.

I don’t off road except for the horrifying NYC roads & puddles/ standing water do occur but the wheels are not submerged.
I think they saw a greenhorn that they tried to fleece.
I’ve got other issues as well to take up with them. Window intermittently doesn’t go up. Took 30 tries and 15min tonight. The other is the car stalled after releasing the brake….

thanks again

Changing diff oil at 15k sounds way too soon. You would have to be doing daily hardcore off-roading, or have gotten water in one or both differentials. Just in case you weren't aware, there are two differentials; one up front near the transmission, and one in the rear between the axle shafts. The other part of your question sounds like typical dealer rip-off.

I would say do it yourself. It's not very hard at all. It's like changing engine oil. Assuming you have a ratchet set, all you need to get are a Torx T-70 bit (amzn.to/3MSGKBO) for the front diff drain plug, and a 13mm square drain socket for the rear diff (amzn.to/3VKS1rK). It helps if the car is warm, and lifting the front of the car up a few inches makes draining the rear diff much easier, since both the drain and fill plugs sit horizontally. On that note, once you're ready to refill, lower the front end back down, and having one of these on hand makes refilling the rear diff a breeze: (amzn.to/3yYjUTr). Just make sure you're using the right gear oil specified for your exact model/year.

One last note: definitely wear gloves, and gear oil STINKS. Just a heads up.

View attachment 1285

View attachment 1286

Ask a Question