Desperate!!! Legacy runs rough and engine shakes after 1 minute cold start.

Reaction score
Hi everyone, new to the forums so forgive my ignorance.
The day before Christmas Eve, (12-23-2021) i was driving my 2003 Subaru legacy home at night. I was merging onto the highway when the car began to shudder, run rough and sound like a misfire. CEL is flashing so i get off the highway and shut the engine down immediately. I check the codes and it reads cylinder 1 misfire. The spark plugs had been replaced in September of 2021. I check what i can along side the rode and find nothing obvious. Long story short i have it towed home and began the long painful road of troubleshooting.

Here is what it does.
Cold start, the engine runs perfectly for almost exactly 1 minute.
then the engine begins to shake and shudder. It sounds like its about to stall and sometimes it does.

I have replaced the following parts
Spark plugs
Ignition wires
Coil pack
EGR valve solenoid
Fuel injectors
Knock sensor 09-20-2021
Fuel filter and fuel pump replaced 09-20-2021
Note the engine was rebuilt on 09-11-2021. Car had approximate 239,000 miles
now it has 245,000

I read codes at home with a new code reader i bought and it says EGR codes so i replaced the valve and the code goes away but the engine is still having problems.

I take the car to a mechanic and he had it for a week and he says when it is running in open loop it is fine. As soon as it goes into closed loop the ECM is reading data from oxygen sensors and other sensors to determine fuel to air ratio etc. That is when it goes berserk. He says he checked timing belt alignment, cylinder compressions, fuel pressure etc. all good. He said cylinder 1 injector is getting high voltage readings. He said that means the cylinder is getting lean fuel for some reason. Also cylinder 4 has somewhat high readings as well but not as bad.
He thinks the engine valve train is having mechanical problems and its not an electrical problem. Thats as far as he could go with it and now i am on my own again. I desperately need this car for work especially since my wife's cars transmission has broken and now i have to scrap that car. i got a truck from my grandpa to get to work and my wife is also borrowing a car. I need this car back bad.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Ask a Question