Crunching noise when braking and on slow tight turns

Reaction score
Hi y’all I’m new to this forum. I’m at a loss right now and figured maybe someone here can help me. I have a 2011 Subaru Legacy Premium 2.5. Right now it’s at 147,000 & I noticed this issue around 135,000. There is some kind of crunching noise, only when I brake to come to a complete stop & when making slow tight turns. It sounds like it’s coming from the passenger side. I’ve gone to 2 mechanics & no one can give me an answer. The first mechanic is the one I always go to for any service. He said it sounds like maybe a differential issue & told me to get a second opinion maybe at a transmission shop. The next mechanic said that the sound was hard to replicate (but seems to always do it when I drive) but he checked my differentials, drivetrain? (I think that’s what it’s called), cv joints & all looks fine, he also recommended a transmission shop. I have an appointment scheduled but they are booked out & also said they may not even be able to help because it’s a CVT & “we don’t do those”. I running out of options here & no one can tell me what it is or guide me in the direction of what it could be. I was in the drivethru earlier & was able to catch the noise on video pretty clear but it looks like I can’t attach a video on this thread? It sounds similar to a half shaft noise if that helps any!

Find a smart Technician and have the Subaru on the hoist. Turning the front wheels by hand and holding the suspension spring may offer a "rumble" as it rotates. That may indicate a wheel bearing noise or defect.
Running the Subaru on the hoist, in gear and turning the steering wheel may offer another clue towards CV joints or shafts.
Differential noises are always constant An oil sample will offer clues.
The CVT transmission will take an expert, ask to get an oil sample and remove the transmission oil filter.
Any metallic debris found indicates an internal failure.
A scan of the network may also offer clues for faults.

Ask a Question