Constant power for dash cam? 2017 Subaru

Reaction score
I have an 2017 Outback if it matters but I'd imagine most fuse/wiring assemblies are similar in the generation. I'm looking to pick up constant power for a dash cam (I already have a battery depletion preventer). I'd prefer to pick up power without having to go though the firewall.

I looked at my 2017 for a " live " spot, if you feel your skill is up to it try to find a live wire and put in your own fused inside wire. Other than that if you want a direct to battery and you do venture through the firewall make sure your hole angle is slightly downward from inside out, you might want an extra covering over that wire also.

One more thing, you are WAY better off taking the power from a main source like the battery rather than tapping into a wire in the system, these new systems are VERY sensitive to voltage changes, spikes ect. and many systems share wires you may never have thought would.

Controller Area Network wiring bus or canbus systems. Best example I can give is they use ONE wire to send signals to all the gauges in the dash. Truck has sensors that read whatever you are wanting to monitor. oil temp, pressure, level. Coolant level, temp, etc. etc. Each sensor uses the same signal wire. The ECM or computer senses which sensor is signaling and supplies the reading to that gauge. Since most systems on the new vehicles use this set up for everything it can be a disaster when a wire is cut or something is added to it.

Ask a Question