Climate control question

Reaction score
in my legacy manual, it states that when 1st operating the AC, keep the air inlet button on[ helps to re- circulate inside air in compartment]. makes sense...
after compartment has cooled, shut button off...[air inlet now letting outside air in]....
this makes no sense to me. on a hot day bringing warm or hot outside air into the cooled space.....
sounds counter productive to me.... I have Always kept the outside air vents closed when operating the AC...
am I missing something?

In the old days cars had a Max A/C setting which was essentially closing the system off from outside air and recirculating the interior speeding up the cooling process. However, and I do not remember the technical reasons, it was advised not to run it this way for long. You’re not actually bringing hot air into the interior space when you when you open it up. The outside air is circulated over the coils to cool down before entering the cabin. I believe, and someone with more technical knowledge can chime in, that it has something to do with the coils and the interior humidity level. Anyway that’s the way I’ve always run it in all my cars, on recirculate for a while and then turning that off. It seems that's still recommended.

makes some sense....
i know when i kick on defrost, it defaults to [outside air in]..

When a vehicle has been in the heat, not running, and the sun's daytime warming has heated the interior, initial running the A/C system on RECIRC will help provide better cooling than with RECIRC turned OFF.

When a vehicle is under the outside condition that was just described, the cabin air temperature can reach upwards of 140 degrees. Now it's just not the air at that temperature. All surfaces (dash pad, steering wheel, door panels, etc.) are also at or near the same temperature. The A/C systems needs to lower both cabin air and surface temperatures. Assuming it's still hot outside, you don't force additional hot air (from the outside) across the evaporator. You want to chill the air in the cabin first.

When the cabin temperature is cooler, then take the system of RECIRC. To help remove the temperature when first starting the vehicle, open and keep a door or two open, or lower the windows to let the heat out.

In RECIRC mode you're not completely shutting off outside air from coming in. Around 5% fresh air comes in. This is like this across most vehicle manufacturers.

Also make certain the cabin filter is clean.

In DEFROST mode, RECIRC will be disabled. This is to prevent the humidity from our breath, moisture from wet clothing, etc., from causing windows to fog over. The fresh air coming in, along with A/C compressor running, will reduce the humidity in the car. Sometimes in winter even when the climate control is not in DEFROST, windows can fog over. Turn the A/C ON to reduce the humidity in the cabin.

If you want to see how hot it gets in a car, or how the A/C system is performing, insert a small cooking thermometer into the center dash vent and keep it there. You'll may be surprised at what temperatures you'll see on the thermometer.

Summer/winter leave the outside air ON... In winter that will take the moisture out of the vehicle and take the condensation off the windows--INSIDE.

When you see a car w/ 4 people and 2 dogs w/ windows all steamed up you can bet they have outside air OFF.. I bet the floor mats are about 1" deep w/ snow/ice, also.

Ask a Question