Climate control question

Discussion in 'Subaru Legacy' started by sub 6, Jan 9, 2020.

1. sub 6

sub 6

in my legacy manual, it states that when 1st operating the AC, keep the air inlet button on[ helps to re- circulate inside air in compartment]. makes sense...
    after compartment has cooled, shut button off...[air inlet now letting outside air in]....
    this makes no sense to me. on a hot day bringing warm or hot outside air into the cooled space.....
    sounds counter productive to me.... I have Always kept the outside air vents closed when operating the AC...
    am I missing something?

sub 6, Jan 9, 2020
    1. Advertisements

2. sub 6

Jp1975

In the old days cars had a Max A/C setting which was essentially closing the system off from outside air and recirculating the interior speeding up the cooling process. However, and I do not remember the technical reasons, it was advised not to run it this way for long. You’re not actually bringing hot air into the interior space when you when you open it up. The outside air is circulated over the coils to cool down before entering the cabin. I believe, and someone with more technical knowledge can chime in, that it has something to do with the coils and the interior humidity level. Anyway that’s the way I’ve always run it in all my cars, on recirculate for a while and then turning that off. It seems that's still recommended.

Jp1975, Jan 10, 2020
    1. Advertisements

3. sub 6

sub 6

makes some sense....
    i know when i kick on defrost, it defaults to [outside air in]..

sub 6, Jan 11, 2020
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question