Check engine light goes away at interstate speeds

Reaction score
Have a 2003 Legacy 2.5 automatic with 203,000 miles.Bought the car with the check engine light on. Been driving it about four months and it runs fine with an occasional 400 RPM engine surge. Recently I've needed to travel out of state one day once a week. I spend three hours on the interstate one way at speeds of 75-80 MPH. I noticed the check engine light will go away during the trip.

The light returns about two days (60 miles) after the trip and stays on until the next trip. I guess I will need to have the code read first. The seller had said the light had something to do with the evap system.

Also, and I may be imagining this, at speeds of 40 MPH or so I sometimes can hear a very faint puff from the exhaust when slowing down. It doesn't happen all the time though.

It did have an after market remote start which I disconnected from the coil. I would welcome any comments or advise. Thanks.

Steve

Ask a Question